What's new

Does DTS include provisions for mono 1.0 like TrueHD? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Dolby's TrueHD is scalable from 1.0 through 7.1 i think just like Dolby Digital.

is DTS-HD MA that flexible? i remember DTS lossy is only 2.0 or 4.0 or 5.1 and that's it.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I hope it is.

I know I am not the only one to think this but I will have to say it:
The original momo track should ALWAYS be available and in lossless or PCM. There is no reason not to unless the original master really deteriorated to the point where a re-mix was absolutely necessary.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Or, would a mono PCM track take up as much room as a multi-channel PCM track? If not, then I say include the mono as PCM.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I am no expert (and am not being sarcastic either) but I assume that a single track PCM should take up about 1/5 to 1/6 the space of 6 track PCM

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
A 48/16 mono PCM track is 768kbps.

A stereo PCM (same specs) is 1536kbps.

A 6 channel PCM is 4608kbps.

So like the bitrate, the total size is simply double or triple depending on the number of channels.

Roger_R

Second Unit
The tendency is to do 2.0 mono though so people get the sound coming from their front left and front right speakers instead of the one by the TV.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
so dts-hd ma does NOT have as many provisions as truehd, correct?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
That is not true. DTS-HD MA actually has more provisions than Dolby TrueHD and it includes a provision to do Mono 1.0. Even DTS lossy has the provision to do Mono 1.0, the only reason you do not come accross a DTS Mono 1.0 DVD or LD is simply because DTS on DVD & LD was generally used only for major titles, that too one's that were considered to be generally 'state of the art audio' titles. Mono 1.0 is not really state of the art audio. Personally I can't recall any DTS 2.0 titles on any Home Video format. Even theatrically the only titles I can think of that probably had DTS 2.0 or DTS 1.0, would be films made by Woody Allen.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i remember seeing DTS 2.0 on the criterion release of the rock SD DVD. maybe it was just me... =P.

if DTS had 1.0, why didn't more black and white, older classic movies use DTS as their 1.0 carrier? most of the older films with 1.0 mono tracks used Dolby Digital 1.0.

hell even Casablanca on BD now uses Dolby. are DTS just not interested in classics?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
That is only because a lot of studios prefer to deliberately use 2.0 for mono also. Hell, I have even come accross a few title that were released with 5.0 mono. Let me warn you. the experience of watching a movie with 5.0 mono, is not only not pleasant, but rather, it is quite excrutiatingly painful.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Superbit edition of "From Here to Eternity" was DTS mono. I didn't get that version so I don't know whether it was 1.0 or 2.0.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Are you sure? If that is true, it is just about the stupidest decision ever made.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Okay I just googled the suberbit edtion and read through several reviews. The DTS soundtrack is a 5.1 remix, not mono. So I've managed to totally take this thread off-topic! Sorry :frowning:

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Maybe I got confused because there is a 2.0 mono track. I could have sworn the cover said something about DTS mono.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i stand corrected on the rock. dunno why powerdvd's info showed me DTS 2.0 when it wasn't... aaaanyways.

while what u say is true, classic films weren't released in large quantities on DVD until much later and therefore putting DTS on it wouldn't mean incompatibility. but u r right about higher quality. but no one really thinks mono is high quality, even though it can be. just because it is mono doesn't automatically mean the audio is low-quality or sux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks