What's new

Does DTS actually sound better than DD 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how much downmixing has to do with the difference I hear...

1) How often are DD 5.1 tracks modified so when they are downmixed by the player into stereo it sounds "good"? There seem to be a lot of disks out there with no Dolby Surround/Stereo/Mono track.

2) Are DTS 5.1 tracks mixed the same way?

Aaron Thomas

David Judah

Screenwriter
I think you have the client/contractor relationship turned around, Jeff. DTS has stated publicly that changes have been made at the request of the content provider.

I can't remember the exact quote, so I will paraphrase(I beleive it was in an interview of some DTS staffers by Widescreen Review:

'When someone comes to you and tells you they want this and this done, you don't tell them no. It's not good business.'

Aaron,

That's a good question that falls in-line with what I was saying about DD tracks having been modified. In fairness, however, I don't beleive it is common practice anymore.

DJ

MichaelWRX

Auditioning
In reply (cant work out how to do this?) to the comment that a user finds that DTS discs are louder than DD. I have found the opposite.

I have Denon 1602 and 2 discs that have both audio formats on the DD sounds slightly louder when I switch b/w the two. 1st became noticable through headphones.

Michael

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO Yes, DTS does have several advantges over Dolby Lab's DD 5.1! :emoji_thumbsup:
For instance, on several higher end receivers such as my Yamaha RX-V1200 you have the option of that 6th channel (Rear Center). You have the additional DTS ES and DTS EX formats which have garnered favor among the more technically devoted film makers. As well as many of the devote's here.;)
An the other hand, there are disadvantages such as most people haven't gotten onto the DTS bandwagon yet. The number of DD titles out far outshines those of DTS. This seems to be changing, however slowly it may be.
:D That's my 2 cents (sense?) worth. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Dolby Digital Surround EX said:
The use of the rear center was pioneered by Dolby and THX and subsequently licensed by DTS. The only thing DTS offers that Dolby doesn't is the discrete version of DTS-ES, which isn't even available as a theatrical format and has only been used on a handful of DVD titles (and a couple of CDs).
M.

greg_t

Screenwriter
"The only thing DTS offers that Dolby doesn't is the discrete version of DTS-ES, which isn't even available as a theatrical format and has only been used on a handful of DVD titles (and a couple of CDs)".

I thought this too, but apparently movies can be recored in DTS-ES for theatrical play. The second time I saw Attack of the Clones, I stayed all the way through the end credits, and it definitly showed the film as being Dolby digital EX, SDDS, and DTS-ES. I remeber it well because I was suprised to see DTS-ES. That was the first time I ever saw DTS-ES a theatrical release as being recorded in DTS-ES.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The second time I saw Attack of the Clones, I stayed all the way through the end credits, and it definitly showed the film as being Dolby digital EX, SDDS, and DTS-ES. I remeber it well because I was suprised to see DTS-ES. That was the first time I ever saw DTS-ES a theatrical release as being recorded in DTS-ES.
I've heard this mentioned before, and I think it's the first theatrical film to feature the DTS-ES logo.

As far as any practical differences in surround channel content go, there aren't any. Theatrical DTS-ES and Dolby Digital Surround EX are one and the same. However, as Michael stated previously, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 (or any discrete back-surround system using the Apt-X system) is still not available theatrically.

Theatrical DTS (and SDDS) presentations of Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks have always included the same back-surround EX channel information. Adding the DTS-ES logo is simply a marketing move at this stage.

Adam

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Actually it's up to one individual's own preference & taste
regarding about DD & DTS.
To me Dolby Digital tracks gives more bass to my HT system
when watching explosive movies like SPR,The Rock,5th Element just to name a few. Perhaps it's due to the 'tight'
compression rate in Dolby Digital and being a bass lover
it really is my cup of tea. While on the other hand I do
agree that DTS tracks are more 'open and spatial' in the
surrounds mainly due to the 'loose' compression rate which
is pleaseing to those who prefer its 'openess'& clarity.
I always leave my volume at 30 when watching movies either
DD or DTS and I can say that between DD & DTS the former
provide better bass than the latter.Dialoque wise, very
little difference between the two and surrounds depends on
the movies.
Both audio formats are great. As I have mentioned it's really up to individual preferences and taste barring
equipment,whether high end or low end.As a chinese saying
goes: If you want people to be like me
Unless there are two of me
(Literal translation)
Just sharing some thouhgts:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks