Does DTS actually sound better than DD 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Mc, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Daniel Mc

Daniel Mc Agent

I hear so much about how great certain DVD's sound with the DTS soundtrack. Is this really true? If so, what makes a DTS soundtrack sound better than a DD 5.1 track? Can you hear more detail or what?

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

This has been discussed many times before, but I'm going to toss my two cents in that I can't hear the difference after making sure they are the same volume on all three of my Superbit DVD's. Go figure. I can tell the difference between mp3's and cd's most of the time.

3. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

I think the theoretical side of it is that DTS uses considerably less compression (and therefore takes up much more space) than DD 5.1, so more of the original sound is on the disc. Whether or not it makes an audible difference is a big debate.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yes...the basis for the "quality" of DTS stems from the fact that it uses quite a bit less compression as DD.

That being said, there are some DD tracks that sound better than their DTS counterparts. The Rock: CC comes to mind...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It has more to do with the mastering than the fact that a track is DD or DTS. Well mastered DD tracks can sound just as good as DTS. However, of the movies that I presonally consider to have great sound, a large percentage of them are DTS and or ES.

If you want a good example, Saving Private Ryan DD vs the full bitrate DTS. No question, the DTS version sounds better.

The gear used can be a factor also.

6. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

7. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

As much as I have tried, I really don't hear any appreciable difference.
    If there is a difference it's slight to be sure, and I don't think warrants all the hubbub that surrounds (no pun intended [​IMG] ) DTS encoding.

8. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Probably much of it is the mastering. I have heard both excellent DD5.1 and excellent DTS.

It's pretty common to hear truly terrible DD tracks, but it's unusual to hear absolutely terrible DTS.

ie. every 2nd movie from every second film company is DD, but it tends only to be the big budget Hollywood blockbusters with DTS.

9. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

About the only difference I can hear at all between the two formats is a greater mid-range prescence or perhaps even coloration is sometimes found on DTS encoded tracks. A good example that I can think of at the moment is the Shrek DVD, which contains the same mix encoded in both formats. This is not the rule, though- it does not always work out that way.

Andrew B.

10. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

The argument of less compression means higher quality is not valid. It is quite possible that the DD compression scheme is much more efficient than the DTS.
    It is absolutely not possible to state that one scheme is better than another, without using the same source mastered in both formats, using the same equipments, in a blind A/B comparison. Given the complexity, I think that is not possible, so the DTS and DD debate shall continue [​IMG]

11. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Run for cover!!!!!

Seriously, the other thing to take into consideration is the CODEC. Dolby has been around much longer than dts and had the money to develop a codec that is designed around the way we hear. Dts on the other hand uses a generic CODEC that has been modified to support audio.

Flame suit ON

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

13. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

When I was at my Uncle's house last summer, I watched a DVD of Roy Orbison Black and White night. I compared the DTS to Dolby Digital and the DTS actually had more of a cleaner, more stereo seperated sound. It seemed to have a lot better separation between the front and rear channels. Since I only have a Pro Logic system, I don't really care. But when I finally get a Dolby Digital/DTS system, then I'll make sure I select DTS as my audio track since I want the best audio I can get. I hope someday, they'll starting selling DD/DTS/SDDS systems for the home. SDDS is 7.1 audio and wouldn't mind having that. That would ROCK!!!

14. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Basically if there is a choice between DTS or DD I will always pick the DTS soundtrack.

15. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Yes [​IMG]

16. Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson Agent

Since you asked for an opinion about a highly debated topic, and since everyone has an opinion (like certain parts of their anatomy), here's mine:

The difference between 5.1 and DTS is very subtle. Where I notice the difference is in the detail, the separation, and clarity especially in the low level sounds. While I am sure the difference can be measured, I do not think any frequency plot or o-scope trace would mean much.

If you really want to perform a "valid" test, load a DVD with both 5.1 and DTS, give the remote to someone else, and sit back and close your eyes. Let that person select if it is going to be 5.1 or DTS, turn the volume down to zero and start the movie.

Once the recognizable audio logo is finished, have the other person turn the volume back up. Keep your eyes closed and just listen. Repeat the process several times allowing the other person to select what sound track you are going to hear. I would suggest you try several different DVDs because even though DTS exactly reproduces the original sound track, some DVDs sound better in 5.1.

Good listening, and let us know what you think!

17. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Is the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan not full bit rate DTS?[​IMG]

18. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    No. It's a 'half bit-rate' (754kbps) DTS soundtrack.

Adam

19. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Irrespective of how the end result is obtained I tend to prefer DTS over Dolby Digital.

20. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

The way I test it is by hitting the audio button on the remote while playing a superbit dvd. It switches automatically between DTS and DD. It's quick and automatic.