What's new

Does DSOTM and The Wizard of Oz really sync up? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, they were. I used to have the soundtrack album (NB - 'used to' - it wasn't terribly good). Worth seeing the movie as a curiosity, but nothing to write home about.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Back in college (6 years ago), our TV station did the synching (just one pass through the album) at the studio and aired it like that. Saved us a lot of trouble. It was kinda neat, but no big deal.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Because the sequence is all visual (and largely abstract) it really lends itself to all kinds of musical accompaniment. You can probably take any 20 minute+ prog piece and you'll get an interesting sync with "Jupiter & Beyond the Infinite". I've done it with Yes' "Gates of Delerium" from "Relayer" - it was very cool. Someday I'm going to try it with Genesis' "Supper's Ready", and some long Tangerine Dream track.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

TCM is showing Wizard of Oz this Saturday 7/3 at 6pm est. Perhaps they'll do the same thing with DSOTM and the second audio track?

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

Mister Sparkle! Besto Washoooooooooooooo!

I have the soundtrack to All This and World War Two. It's pretty awful, but historically interesting. Peter Gabriel's "Strawberry Fields Forever" was recorded between his leaving Genesis and beginning his solo career, when he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, so that's interesting.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
On the other hand, I seem to recall hearing that the Blue Oyster Cult recorded an entire album to accompany the movie Heavy Metal, and then after it wasn't used released it separately. I am not quite certain if that was the same album as Veteran of the Psychic Wars, the song which was used, came from. Does anyone else know about this, or am I hallucinating?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Anyone found a good album to sync up with "Debbie Does Dallas"? :D (Though the music in that movie's so great it doesn't need replacing!)

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I did it once and it really does sync up but I don't know if I'd do it again.
I remember hearing or reading and interview with Richard Wright and when questioned about it he said he'd heard about it but never tried it and also wondered who on earth had enough time to figure this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks