Does DPL II convert 2 channel sources to 7.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Thomas, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I own an HK AVR-320 and finally hooked up an external amp to test my surround back channels. When playing 2 channel sources thru Logic 7, DTS Neo 6 or 7 channel stereo I can get sound from all 7 speakers. But when switching to Dolby Prologic II I only get output thru 5 speakers. In fact when I went into the setup menu, I wasn't allowed to enable the surround back speakers in DPL II.

I'm wondering if this is just an HK issue or perhaps DPL II only works up to 5.1 and not 6.1 or 7.1? Is it different on the HK 325/525 since they have built in amps for all 7 channels?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

DPL2 was designed for 5 speakers and a sub. It does not currently support 7-speaker setups, although there have been rumors of a future version that will do so.

M.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a Pioneer VSX45TX and it will allow me to turn rear surrounds on in ProLogic II mode and I do get sound from both the "side" and "back" surrounds from 2 channel sources. It's more pronounced and noticeable on action films but definitely there on all 2 channel sources.

DPL II does not by itself support a rear center channel, but my receiver will synthesize one anyway.

That being said, I would bet the Logic 7 processing works at least as well as whatever my Pioneer is doing to get a rear surround effect from PLII.

4. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Cirrus also has a proprietary algorythm that adds back channel support to DPL2's 5.1 decoding.

5. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    And as well, the Onkyo 797 also makes an allowance for sounds to be heard off of any source in a 7.1 configuration by setting the surround speaker option to left/right + back.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

It's the "CES" modes on the Outlaw 950, or the "xS" modes on the Rotel 1066 that "expand" DPL II from 2.0 to 7.1 instead of just 5.1 as for DPL II.