What's new

Does Denon 3802 allow for stored speaker settings in different modes? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Denon 3802 and as I said in another post, I prefer to have the bass a little higher when listening to music via DPLII or stereo. In other words, I usually increase the subwoofer output a few dB's (through the receiver) when listening to music.

I'd like the sub set at +2 dB for movies (through DD or DTS) and at +5-6 for music (through DPLII or stereo). So far, if I set the sub at one level for one processing mode, it stays the same when I switch to another. Does the receiver have the capability of remembering these individual settings in each mode, or am I just going to have to manually increase/decrease the sub levels as I switch processing modes?

Any help from all you 3802 owners would be much appreciated...

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Scott,

The 3802 allows you to save channel levels for each surround mode. For example PLII/DTS Neo/DD/DTS, stereo, direct, 7 channel can all have independent setting. To change these, when you are in the surround mode you want press enter on the remote to change each speakers volume. This is the Personal Memory feature the manual talks about.

To bad it groups PLII/DTS Neo/DD/DTS together. This is the biggest gripe I have with the 3802. I think it would be better to allow you to maintain different setting for each individual source. This way you can bump up the sub/surround level for sat/cable which will use mostly PLII or DTS Neo, which I find find need a boost, and you can still have your VE or Avia calibrated DD/DTS setting for DVD use.

The channel level in the setup menu is a universal level. I use this when I intially set up the reciever. I use the internal TestTones to balance out all channels. If you change these setting it will take place in all surround modes. SO only use these for the inital setup.

Just remember balance each surround mode using the enter button to scroll thru each channel.

Hope this helps

Earle

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Scott: Yes, the 3802 can store different volumes for some of the modes. For DD, DTS and Pro Logic II modes, the sub volume will stay the same. For whatever reason, Denon treats these modes as the same for volume levels (note that DD and DTS LFE level can be adjusted separately.)

Go to page 49 in your manual and check out the 2nd half of the page. This will show how to make individual adjustments for each mode (remember that some of the modes will be treated as the same. It's been awhile since I've adjusted mine but I run my surround, stereo and direct modes all a bit different.)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Chuck

I still dont understand the DTS and DD LFE pad on the 3802.
the DD LFE should be 0 and the DTS LFE +10 correct? When watching a DTS movie my LFE is Always at 0 and DD is the same.

All these values are in the surround parameters menu. I only have 1 LFE pad control. Sorry if Im being thick headed here but Im having a hard time understaning how the 3802 adjusts the LFE pads

Earle

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Earle: No sweat. A valid question.

1st things 1st, when you bring up the Parameter adjustment while DD or DTS is playing, the LFE adjustment is available. (You can only adjust DD LFE during DD playback and the same for DTS.)

As far as DTS LFE, the 0db LFE setting on Denon products is the "correct" value for DTS movies. (I don't know if this is the same for other makers. This is Denon's implementation though.) The "correct" DTS LFE setting for DTS music is -10db. (BTW, this info is on page 53 of my USA 3802 manual. I don't know if your UK version is the same page or not.) I think that when in DTS mode, the 0db setting is automatically boosted 10 db (as you are guessing.) Thus the -10db setting for DTS music.

Of course, like anything else, the final decision as to where to place the LFE values rests with us, the listener.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
So if your watching a DTS movie the LFE pad is the DTS and if watching a DD movie its the DD LFE pad. So If I make an adjustment to the pad it should maintain the 2 sperate settings?

Earle

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Earle: Yes, you have it correct. The 3802 will remember each LFE setting separately. In fact, my is different as I type this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks