Does Crutchfiled pricematch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Nov 4, 2001.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Do they pricematch other .com vendors?
    ** I apologize, this looks like the wrong forum.
    [Edited last by John M Welch on November 04, 2001 at 01:53 AM]

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Nope, they don't... They gotta pay for that fanvy website somehow! Lol..
    - Chip
    ------------------

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Crutchfield does not match prices of other authorized dealers. Their belief is that you are paying for better customer service. By and large, their salespeople are professional, and they do offer a 30-day money-back guarantee with no restocking fee. They even pay return shipping. Also, they offer free technical support over the phone for the life of any product they sell. You don't find that often. However, I have not found their technical support staff to be very helpful at times. Given the price one pays for merchandise from Crutchfield, I would expect them to know their stock inside and out. The fact is that they have a lot of merchandise to keep track of, and they are not always up on things. In the end, I don't feel the service they provide in any way justifies their prices.
    When I was in the market for a Sony SCD-777ES SACD player in October 2000, I could have bought it for $2500 from Crutchfield or Tweeter (brick-and-mortar for the latter) or $1500 from Oade Bros. A $1000 difference! Guess where I bought from. Oade Bros. is an authorized Sony ES dealer and offered professional, courteous customer service. Furthermore, the player came double-boxed and the '777ES box was sealed. Crutchfield is dreaming if they feel the majority of people will pay their prices. If I had wanted to spend $2500 on the '777ES, I would have bought it from Tweeter, where I could jump in my car to return it and get a replacement or a refund instantly.
    With regards to Crutchfield's customer service, I have seen a dip in their professionalism at times in the past year or so. They have talked trash to me about OneCall, J&R Music World, and Oade Bros. They never used to do that. Crutchfield is probably getting sick of hearing people say the other dealers are authorized and much cheaper. Crutchfield has tried to tell me that Sony states these dealers are not authorized and/or they are selling open-box merchandise. Total B.S. [​IMG]
    In the end, Crutchfield probably does a very good business. They put out a fancy color catalog periodically, which admittedly, I enjoy reading. Also, their web site is an excellent source of information. There are a lot of people out there that probably know the Crutchfield name and are not savvy enough shoppers to know of OneCall, J&R Music World, and Oade Bros. (especially OneCall and Oade Bros.). Crutchfield probably gets a lot of business from such people. I used to buy from Crutchfield once in awhile, but I now use their catalog and web site for information only. I will not pay their prices. At present, I am casually interested in the Sony STR-DA5ES receiver. I could pre-order it from Crutchfield for $1500 (full retail) or from Oade Bros. for $975. Again, [​IMG].
    By the way, I agree that this thread belongs on the Retail and Wholesale Vendor Feedback board.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 04, 2001 at 09:20 AM]