Does Criterion's "Traffic" look better than the original?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm looking at buying one of these. Although the extras sound great on the Criterion, I am most interested in the transfer. I am willing to spend the extras bucks if the transfer is better. Many of the reviews I have read are mixed; some say the Criterion looks exactly like the original. Is there an appreciable difference? I have a 61" display, so subtle details are noticable.

2. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

As far as I can see, the transfer looks exactly the same. Excellent all round.

Buy the Criterion release for the superb commentaries and extras, not supposed improvements in the transfer.

3. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    The Criterion has the original burned in subtitles. The USA release is player generated.

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Reportedly, the Criterion transfer has been mildly improved, and, as already stated, has the original burned-in subtitles at Soderbergh's request.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

In my opinion Traffic: Criterion Collection was one of the best DVDs of the year. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Criterion's transfer is slightly better and has some amazing extras (as well as the burned in subtitles that were already mentioned).

7. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

The 2 transfers are different in just about every possible area: color timing, horizontal and vertical detail, compression artefacts, framing...
    Yet most of the differences are rather subtle for the non-videophile.
    Actually, i cannot think of any other comparison i ever made with this many subtle 'differences'.
    Framing:
    - in a lot of shots, the framing is identical
    - in most of the other shots, the CC has slightly more picture at the bottom, but a little less at the top
    - in some of the Mexican shots, the picture is 'tilted' by about 2-3 degree! I have never seen something like this before
    - in some other Mexican shots, the CC has more picture on the right, but less on the left
    Color timing:
    - the Mexican shots are consideralby improved in color tone, color saturation, contrast, delineation in the CC version. This is probably the biggest difference between the 2 versions. The CC is CONSIDERABLE better, IMO.
    - the Normal, coloful shots are basically identical
    - the 'cool' bluish colored scenes of Douglas' world are also just about identical
    Detail:
    - throughout the WHOLE movie, the normal edition has slightly more vertical detail than the CC version, which appears to be more filtered (vertically)
    - in most shots, the CC version on the other hand, has more horizontal detail (think non-SB to SB here)
    - in the other shots, the horizontal detail is identical
    - overall, subjectively, the slightly higher vertical detail makes the normal edition appear more detailed overall.
    - thankfully, both editions have basically zero EE/ringing. Very film-like, bravo!
    Compression:
    - the CC version does have less compression artefacts (mosquito noise, blocking). Both play at a very high, satisfying level, though.
    Overall, i prefer the CC version, since:
    - the Mexican scenes look considerably better due to the color timing and contrast
    - the slight difference in detail is not that important, IMO. Both have a very detailed, ringing-free film-like picture
    - the subtitles are much easier to look at on the CC
    Much more than you wanted to know probably, but there you go [​IMG]
    Happy New Year!
    Bjoern

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Bjoern,

It's always great to hear your analysis. Thanks!

9. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

I remain silenced. [​IMG]
    Thanks Bjoern!

10. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Interesting! I have seen both versions, and I own the CC edition. I did not compare the two very closely at all, so I did not personally notice the subtle differences that Bjoern detailed here. However, I have no reason to believe that he's not completely accurate with his comparison between the two. Anyway you slice it (transfer quality and extras), the CC edition is the way to go IMHO.
    [​IMG]

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Happy New Year Bjoren!
    And no, YOU can never say to much.
    All the best & more posts please.
    E.