What's new

Does Criterion ever re-release DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I sure hope so. I would love to be able to get "The Rock".. I saw it before at best buy and should have snapped it up when I had the chance. Now its no longer there (or anywhere here.. N.C..) so.. any hope for me? I dont want the original non-anamorphic version. Thanks in advance

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The Rock is not out-of-print, or anything. Hunt around on an online store for it. A great transfer, IMHO.

But to answer your question, yes.. Criterion occasionally re-releases titles. (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, and Fritz Lang's M have recieved re-releases, with improved transfers and stuff)

EDIT : Quite correct, Douglas. M is not out yet.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Caveat: M is listed on Criterion's site as having a new edition coming, but it's not out yet.

Criterion also re-issued The 400 Blows (as part of the Antoine Doinel set) and Charade.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Beauty and the Beast was released in a vastly improved version (new print and with the entire Philip Glass opera included as an additional extra). Two Jaques Tati films - Mon Oncle and Monsieur Hulot's Holiday - were reissued I think in identical format.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Waiting for Criterion to re-release all of their widescreen titles in anamorphic... :D

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Not without upsetting a lot of bootleggers. :)

On topic, I've no idea. Who has release rights to the Woo films in the US? I picked up the Fox Lorber versions a good while back, but aren't these OOP too?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Scott_MacD

The Woo titles believe it or not are owned by Buena Vista (Disney). This may have changed very recently but I can't confirm that. There is now a Fortune Star release of THE KILLER that is part of a John Woo box set with Bullet in the Head. Someday soon I will finish the review of it. It has very little extras but the quality while not perfect, is the best that it has been for Region 1. The box set is all region.

HARD BOILED is being re-released by Tartan in the UK (Region2)with in the next few months. I don't know much more about it. The current remastered Mei Ah version (all region) is the best there is at the moment. Again, not perfect, but the best available aside from the French HKVIDEO DVD.

Both of these were on Buena Vista's release list for a while as R rated English dubbed only DVD's but never were released.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks