1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Component Cable For Xbox mean 480p?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Anders, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys, here's my problem. I have a Sony WEGA Trinitron tv with component inputs. I am currently using the S-video connection. I've heard all kinds of things about 480p and i and all that. What I'm wondering is what do i HAVE to have to get the MAX best resolution for my Xbox. My TV is just a flatscreen and not HDTV. As it stands right now, sometimes in HALO in some of the lager environments, the surfaces in the distance look washed out. Will switching cables remedy this? Please help. I freaked out when I noticed this.

I've essentially built my system around having the Xbox and I don't want it screwed up. I'm sure you all understand.

By the way, this is my first post here. I've been reading the threads for a couple of weeks and liked what I saw. Not a bunch of dumb kids saying, "Mine is better than yours, nah nah nah nah nah!" Though......a little competition never hurt anybody.

I would appreciate all help in this matter.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Some Wegas can do progressive and some cannot. Do you know if yours is progressive scan capable? What model Wega is it?

3. Chris_Anders

I don't know, I didn't see anything about progressive scan in the instruction booklet. The model is KV-27FS13. Anybody know anything about it? Thanks for the reply by the way Camp.

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

No, yours will not handle progressive. You'll need to switch over to interlaced outputs.

5. Chris_Anders

what are interlaced cables? If you could please elaborate i would appreciate it very much. I'm going nuts over here since I noticed the flaw. Does having interlaced cables meant that I will get progressive scan quality? And do interlaced cables mean I need to replace my S-video? Thanks.

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

There are not progressive and interlaced cables, they both use the component cables. As long as your Xbox is outputting an interlaced picture (which is a setting?) you are fine. Your "problem" (if it is even one) has nothing to do with incorrect cables or settings. If your XBox was outputting a progressive signal, you would not get a picture on your TV (or it would be completely garbled, I've never tried).

What you are noticing may be how the game is... or you may need to adjust the settings on your TV to make sure brightnes, contrast, tint, color etc is correct.

7. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

follow this link to learn just about everything that you ever wanted to know about Progressive Scan technology.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/maste..._toc_main.html
    Just remember that they are referring to DVD players in this article, but the concept of progressive scan is the same on the X-Box as on a DVD player. When they refer to a 'DVD player' with Progressive Scan, you should substitute that in your head with 'X-box'
    follow the link ...you'll get it

8. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

If your television does not have Component Video inputs, it is not capable of 480p.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

From reading Chris' original post, it sounds like his Trinitron DOES have component inputs, but from what Jeremy said about his specific model number, it is not progressive-scan ready.

Chris, that's not such a big deal, IMO. If you followed Sean's link you should have a basic knowledge of progressive scanning, but what it boils down to is if your TV was able to receive a progressively-scanned image, you would notice a smoother picture, with fewer jagged edges on vertical and diagonal lines. It is a nice thing to have, but the fact that your TV can't receive a progressive image isn't the end of the world. You can still use component cables, which is better than a whole lot of other TVs, and should give you a very nice image.

As far as the picture being "washed out", that doesn't sound like it has to do with the cabling--as an earlier poster suggested, you may want to check your TVs video settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc). There are calibration DVDs that you can buy to do this with--believe me, if you haven't done it yet, it makes a huge difference. The two most popular are Video Essentials and Avia Guide to Home Theater. (I've got Avia, and I love it.)

So to sum up, yes, component cables for the Xbox CAN mean 480p, but only if your TV supports it. Otherwise it's 480i, the same resolution as a (non-progressive) DVD player. The difference between the two is noticeable, but not earth-shaking, and in my opinion the image problems that you describe wouldn't be solved by having progressive-scanning, but may be rectified by calibrating your display properly.

Hope that helps,

Dave

10. Chris_Anders

Thank you all very much for your advice. I should be able to at the least improve upon my gaming and tv image. Very usefull advice all of it. I think I will go out and get that DVD disc that the last member commented on. Then, a component cable is in the works next as well. You know what is dissapointing though? If I had known more before I bought my TV I would have made sure that it had progressive scan capabilities. Don't get me wrong, its a great TV, but I wanted the best I could afford as an entertainment system, and I probably could have sprung the few extra bucks for a progressive scan tv. Oh well, I'm having a blast playing video games again, so I really shouldn't complain.

BTW, the Xbox rocks. It has more than lived up to my expectations of it. I can't wait to see what its capable of two years from now.....Until then.

11. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

I have the sony wega 32 kfs... series and yes it can receive component cables but it DOES NOT support progressive scanning. The models that do have start with xbr... and they are alot more expensive I've found out.

A very informative and useful thread gentlemen. I was also going nuts researching if my Wega had 480p capabilities, wish this thread appeared a month ago.

One more note, the High Definition pack is the only one that supports component otherwise if you are using S-video you are fine with the Advanced pack.

12. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Chris,
    You will still want component cables for your Wega, an excellent choice in television even without progressive scan. My opinion, and feel free to flame me, is to buy either the Pelican Component cable or the Monster Component cable. The little HD/AV pack from Microsoft isn't shielded, the jackasses left that part out. I personally bought the monster, as it seemed to be constructed better at the RCA ends. The Pelican was rather flimsy and stretched out easy. I know, I returned one. Anyhow, once you hook it up via component and without a disc in your X-Box, turn it on. In the Setup part of the menu, under video it asks questions. Instead of confusing people with terms it simply asks,
    1. Does your tv support 480P? Your answer would be NO
    2. Does your tv support 720P? Again NO
    3. Does your tv support 1080I? NO
    Once you have done this, you have component video that is set up for outputting 480I regardless of the source and is perfect for your tv. Hopefully this answers everyone's questions, if not my email is [email protected]
    Be patient, sometimes I can't answer right away.

13. Chris_Anders

Some very good Ideas in here. It seems as if I can get the most of my system now. Exellent. So here it is: I'm going to get the AVIA DVD tuner Disc, switch from S-video to component cables, fiddle (SOME MORE!) with my tv settings and just enjoy. That seems like the best combination to get the most out of my systems. I am always open to suggestions, though I think I'll go with the Monster Component cable, I have the monster S-video and am happy with it.

Take it easy.

14. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

If your television does not have Component Video inputs, it is not capable of 480p

Not true. My TV will take a 480P with the VGA input.

15. Moulis

Moulis Auditioning

What about the RGB cable?

480p or 480i? On a Sony WEGA Trinitron tv without component inputs.

KV-29FX30E