What's new

Does cold water come to a boil faster the hot water?? (1 Viewer)

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
DUDES simple physics.....It takes a certian amount of energy to raise a set amount of water to another temperature of to lower it to a colder temp. This stuff doesnt change except in lab experiments and strange environments. IN THE REAL WORLD>>>>"NOTHING" CHANGES EVER.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
3 Basic Laws Of Thermodynamics

1)Heat will move to anything with less heat

2)Heat is present in everything to absolute zero (-460F)

3)Whenever a liquid boils, heat is carried off with the vapors.

Hot water will freeze faster than cold, because of the rapidness of the heat transfer. Just basic stuff I learned from H.V.A.C school years ago.:b

Aaron

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I believe the reason for useing hot water for skating rinks and ice cubes is that the hot water contains less gasses and so it tends to create a more clear ice when its frozen then cooler water would have.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I resigned myself to it long ago, buttercup. As any sane and decent person would expect, hot water out of the tap will boil faster than cold water out of the tap. However, water that has been boiled once and allowed to cool will boil faster than hot water out of the tap. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time around. There's money in this somewhere, I'm sure of it.

So, the answer is 'Pure water has a constant energy transfer rate, and hot pure water will boil faster than cold pure water. However, cold pure water will boil faster than hot IMpure water, and IMpure water is what people usually have to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread