Does CE775 sound improve over time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I've got Sony SCD CE775 and currently it sounds harsh. But, according to some people, it gets smoother after burn-in period. So, I'd like to ask those who own the player if that was the case. Please no theories on "there is a/no burn-in period". I'm only interested in actual experience. Unless I get convinced, I'll return it and get CA70 or something else. I don't give SACD much [email protected] at the moment.

2. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Yoon Lee, the best thing you can do for yourself is to put lots of hours on the player within the return period and draw your own conclusions. There's no realistic way to be "convinced" one way or the other.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yoon, I have never experienced break-in with my components. If you don't like the sound of the 'CE775 out of the box, you may never like it. However, you have nothing to lose by logging a lot of hours on the player within the return period. If you still are not happy with the 'CE775 by day 30, return it. However, I would consider picking up a 'CA70ES or whatever player strikes your fancy while you have the 'CE775. Give yourself the opportunity to compare two players side-by-side. Finally, if there is anything at all out on SACD that you like, you ought to grab it and try it on the 'CE775. You might suddenly give a "[email protected]". [​IMG]

5. Matthew Anker

Matthew Anker Stunt Coordinator

Yes, they do burn in. I completely was disgusted with mine at first. I had an old Carver sitting below it with an LClock and the works installed. The Sony sounded hotter than hell compared with the smooth old Carver, and it didn't have any bass either. The Sony was harsh also. However, it had much more detail which I found intriguing. I liked the player so much I took my LClock out of the Carver and sold it. I now offer modifications for the CE775 and thoroughly burn it in 24 hours before it leaves my shop. Burn in is real! Electrical components like capacitors change over time. The caps in your player just take forever.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, when I bought my '777ES in October 2000, I had it connected to a Sony STR-V444ES A/V receiver. In February 2001, I bought an NAD C 370 integrated amp as a first step towards putting together a dedicated stereo system in my home-theater room. I noticed no change in the four months that the '777ES was paired with the 'V444ES. Either nothing changed, or the system did not afford the resolution necessary to detect a change. I can't say I detected a change after connecting the '777ES to the C 370 either. Furthermore, I never detected a change with my 'C555ES in my better stereo system.

I am not sold on break-in since I have never observed it, but detecting it could very well depend on one's listening habits. In my opinion, one may need to listen to the same familiar disc or discs frequently to catch any changes that may occur. I have a rather extensive CD collection, so I am always changing my playlist, so to speak. Perhaps that partially explains why I have not detected break-in in my components. Still, I would think that if a drastic change had taken place, I would have noticed it by now.

One final note about break-in from my point of view. I do not believe in running a component 24/7 over several days in the attempt to achieve break-in. This seems to be a popular practice with the folks on Audio Asylum to break in their SACD players. I think people who are running their components 24/7 are asking for trouble. In my opinion, these components were not meant to be operated in this way. It's one thing to leave a component on 24/7. It's another thing to run the laser mechanism 24/7, which is what some people do to accomplish an "express break-in". Some owners of the SCD-1 and '777ES on Audio Asylum have reported TOC errors, and a number of them employed the 24/7 break-in regimen. I say, let a component break in naturally, meaning as you listen to music. When you are done listening, stop the player. What's the rush?

So, does break-in exist? I can't say that it does, but far be it for me to dispute what many others claim is very obvious to their ears. All I can say is that I have detected obvious changes in performance between a "cold" component and the same component after it has been given time to warm up. That, of course, is not the same as break-in.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, you make solid points, and since I have not observed break in, I cannot dispute them. On the other hand, I cannot fully support them either. Regarding the 24/7 method of break-in, I still it is potentially problematic. You said that problems reported on Audio Asylum were a result of Sony's poor customer service. The player breaks, and then you approach customer service. One has to ask why these players broke down. There are likely a variety of reasons, but I know that a number of people on Audio Asylum applied the 24/7 break-in method.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I tried this based on comments I read on this forum with my SCD-CE775 and could not notice a difference after letting it play for 100 hours.
    I don't understand how you can perform this comparison unless you had another same exact player sitting beside it that sounded exactly the same that didn't go through the break in process and use it as a reference to tell what effects if any the "break-in" had?
    I would also like to understand what happens to components while they're breaking in and why it takes 100 hours for it to occur?

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, some have said that SACD players need 300-400 hours to break in. For SACD players with separate laser mechanisms for CD and SACD (e.g., Sony SCD-1 and SCD-777ES), that is 300-400 hours for the CD section and another 300-400 hours for the SACD section.
    If I cared enough, I would buy two 'CE775 changers and set them up in my main stereo system using the same type of cable. I'd run one 24/7 for 100 hours with CDs and 100 hours SACDs. The other one would not be used at all. Then I would turn both on one day and give them the same amount of time to warm up and play the same CDs and SACDs on both. It would be interesting to see if there were any differences in the sound between the two players.
    I could have done the above type of experiment, but with the 'C555ES. Back in October, I bought a 'C555ES for my main stereo system. Then in April, I bought one for my second stereo system. While the experiment would not been as controlled as what I proposed with the 'CE775, I could have set up the second 'C555ES in my main system and compared it to the first one. I have no idea how many hours I had logged on the first 'C555ES with CDs and SACDs by the time the second one arrived, but the comparison would have been interesting. Oh well. I guess I didn't care enough. [​IMG]