What's new

Does cable carry Dolby Digital (1 Viewer)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Was watching "Brothers" on HBO the other night and noticed that at the beginning of the show a "broadcast in DD where avaiable" or something like that appeared. Since I only have a prologic decoder, I can't actually check it, but, should I expect to receive this signal? How is it transfered, ie via RF resulting in the need for a RF input on a DD decoder? Could I also record this signal to VCR and play it back?
Although I'm relatively clueless, I'd guess that my cable company (Ocean cablevision in NJ) will be even less informed. Years ago, I asked them about stereo TV broadcasts, and got a huh? Turns out that they did pass on the stereo feed of -some- programs that were broadcast in stereo, but they could never verify this to me. I only figured it out, since at the time I had a separate stereo decoder box that would light up when it saw a stereo signal.
Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Some cable companies offer cable boxes that are capable of outputting a digital bitstream via either a digital coaxial or optical cable to be fed to a DD receiver/decoder. As you already know, trying to ascertain whether this is available or not from some cable companies can be quite a challenge, to say the least.
VCRs are not capable of recording the digital audio signal....the best you could do is record to the VCR using the left and right analog audio cables for playback in DPL.
Hope this helps.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
OK,got it sort of.
My cable company is getting back to me on if/when they will offer descramblers with digital out for DD. So, if I can't record DD onto VCR, what then?
How about feeding it to my computer, recording to HD (video and raw DD stream--how), then sticking it onto recordable DVD or recordable CD (VCD or is there a higher quality VCD, SVCD?).
Or, will the new Panasonic DVD/R/RW recorder record this DD signal?
How's this done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks