Does bandwidth affect calibration level?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Milne, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I started pondering subwoofer calibration methods (did someone say engineers are boring? [​IMG] ). It seems that if pink noise is used (equal energy per octave), then raising the crossover frequency (so that the sub covers, say, three octaves instead of two) will increase the measured loudness. One would be tempted, then to "turn down" the sub to achieve the reference calibration level.

This can't be a good thing if one is trying to maintain proper level for all notes, ie. the pluck of a single open "E" string (41 Hz) of a bass guitar.

Am I thinking about this too much? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

It gets worse when you consider that the sound of someone plucking a guitar string is more than just the 41 Hz tone the string is tuned to. There is the sound of the finger across the string plus all the accompaning resonant tones. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but I ran tones through all my speakers and adjusted the lower frequencies on the subs so they wouldn't overpower the others. I may be getting away with this since I'm using a 15 and 12 inch sub with 8" mids on all the other speakers. Kettles and tympani seem to sound pretty good though.

3. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator