1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone with RCN/Starpower digital cable service have a S-Video/SPDIF cable box??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LewisD, Feb 17, 2002.

1. LewisD

LewisD Extra

I have RCN/Starpower cable in the DC metro area, and I, like most cable subscribers, have the shitty DCT-2000 RCA boxes...Does anyone here with RCN/Starpower service actually have one of the deluxe HT cable boxes with S-video and SPDIF connections? I've called and e-mailed this company many times about this issue, and every time they act clueless, and tell me to use the RCA cables for surround sound. Although I do have a DPL2 reciever, which sounds really great on the premium channels, nothing beats DD5.1 [​IMG]
    Has anyone had success with this company?

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I'll just comment on audio part since we don't live in the same country so I don't know your cable company. I do however have the same "shitty" DCT2000 cable box. [​IMG]
    When they mean by RCA they just mean a Coaxial cable with RCA connectors. This can either be a regular video cable, audio cable, or digital audio cable. Check the manual or the back of your cable box. If it says SPDIF (mine says that) you can use a digital coax cable. Normal video or audio cable ie. Yellow, Red, White cables will work but probably not as good as a digital coaxial cable. Anyhow that would be your best bet for surround sound for the channels that does deliver it. Otherwise you'll just have to get your DPL2 audio through your stereo interconnects. Again you're subject to the channel's audio signals.
    My box does have a S-Video connection on the back