1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Towers Speakers for surround??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I'm thinking of buying new speakers and I have a friend that can get me Technics Towers DVD-Audio Ready speakers that go for $599 for $120. now my question is what do you think of using towers for surrounds speakers also??? Does anyone do this any pros or cons???
    ------------------

2. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

1. Saying a speaker is "DVD-Audio Ready" is like saying that a pair of headphones is "Digital Ready." It has no meaning. None at all. Zero. As far as the "super tweeter" goes, any well-made speaker will produce frequencies higher than the highest that humans can hear.
    2. I think it's a good idea to use tower speakers in general.
    3. I think it's a bad idea to use these tower speakers specifically, and I would suggest that you spend your money on speakers made by companies that specialize in speakers.
    [Edited last by Steve Daniels on August 07, 2001 at 03:27 PM]

3. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

isnt ANY speaker dvd audio ready? huh?
    but yes i've always assumed having a better speaker behind you as well will only help

4. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I would agree 100% with Steve.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

5. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I am slowly becoming a fan of towers as surrounds. But really it all depends on whether or not you listen to music or not. I just sold my Paradigm Mini Monitors (I'm down to 3.1 for the time being) so that I can buy another set of Monitor 7v2s for the rear to bring out a more room filling sound for music.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

6. Han

Han Second Unit

Just make sure all the drivers in you rear towers clear the furniture. This is the main problem I've had with trying to go with tower speakers for rears (especially rear center). Well, I guess if they have powered subwoofers attached, then the sub drivers don't need to clear the furniture.

7. keith fox

keith fox Agent

Is any speaker is not DVD Audio ready? Sort of...
    Most speakers are rated in the range 20hz-21khz. DVD-Audio/SACD reproduce frequencies up to 100khz. Now there is some debate if you will actually hear/feel/experience frequencies this high, but if your speakers can't reproduce it then you definitely will not be experiencing it.
    Oh yeah, your pre-pro/receiver and amp need to have a 100khz bandwidth as well.
    Everybody get on the upgrade bandwagon [​IMG]
    FYI - Technics was one of the first producers of DVD-Audio players and and built speakers with a suitable range of frequency response.
    As for towers for rear speakers... the original dolby spec I think specified 5 identical speakers... and THX while I don't thnk said they had to be identical, configurers them as 'small' and at a fixed 80hz crossover.