What's new

Does Anyone Use THX Processing? (1 Viewer)

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
On my reciever I can select DD, DTS, DD-EX, or DTS-ES and then if I hit the THX button it will say DD-EX + THX, etc. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this. Is it just another form of DSP?

Thanks.

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link, but that was actually the first place I looked. I guess what I'm asking wondering is what are people's opinions on the re-equalizing that THX mode offers? Does it actually do what it claims (correcting the sound) or is it more like a DSP?

I found that on Attack of the Clones it seemed to work alright, but when I watched the Matrix the sound seemed to be muffled? Ultimately I will listen to what I personally think sounds the best, but I am curious about what others think.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Those two aren't mutually exclusive. THX is a form of post-processing, and today nearly all such processing is done digitally. So it's a form of DSP, but that doesn't really answer the question.

Whether or not to apply THX processing depends on a number of variables, including:
  • How the soundtrack was mastered
  • The sonic properties of your listening environment
  • The sonic properties of your equipment
  • Your personal taste and "ear"
My own system allows me to pick and choose among the THX features. I generally apply re-eq, because I have bright speakers and a listening environment that doesn't absorb much of the high frequencies. The rest of it I leave off.

M.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I leave THX EX on all the time when playing DVD's on my system. I don't consider my speakers overly 'bright', as I can listen to all manner of music at moderate to high volumes, for extended periods, without issue. However, most blockbuster action movies just seem to have too much treble, making me cringe at 15-20dB below reference level. With THX on, I can listen at a much higher volume (still 5-10dB below reference), and have less fatigue, while enjoying louder dialogue and more prominent surround effects.

Though the same is likely not true of most receivers today, having THX activated on my receiver is the only way I can get 6.1 surround, with the exception of DTS ES 6.1 Discrete. I find THX surround EX to be a significant improvement over regular Dolby Digital or DTS.

Aaron Gilbert

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
OK,

So if THX processing on a receiver lessens the treble, does that mean that a DVD that has been mastered to strict THX standards has already been re-equalized for a home environment, or does it mean that it has been left as it was in the theater so that when THX processing is applied you get an accurate sound?

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Greg,

That issue has generated a bit of debate here and on other forums. I used to think that all movies (THX certified or otherwise) had their treble accentuated. Recent information has led me to believe otherwise. This article is an excellent read on the topic:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...es-6-2002.html

Here's a long post that has all kinds of good information on THX, over at AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

And more on CinemaEQ in particular:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=dressler

Happy Reading!

Aaron Gilbert

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

Thanks for the info. It is exactly what I was looking for. As usual when I do any reading about my HT I feel better informed and even more confused:D As always I'll just have to trust my own ears on each movie, but it is nice to see that other people have wondered about this topic too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks