Does anyone use a perf. screen for their front projector? (speakers behind screen).

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JediFonger, Feb 2, 2006.

1. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    I don't, can't afford it. I got a quote from:
    http://screenresearch.com/

and it costs upwards of $5,000 for a 100" diagonal 4:3 conventional screen. i can't afford it yet. right now i'm stick with ultra low budget (da-lite manual pull down 100" same config for $270 =). but i've demo'd the alternate perf screens (along with clearpix) and they compromise on picture quality compared to the clearpix =).

if i do get one, that's the screen clothe i'm getting =).

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I made a DIY perf screen, using a light gray 100% cotton fabric from a JoAnn's Fabrics. Stretched it around a PVC/black iron pipe frame, and have since added a black terry 'back-drape' to cut off the light going through the screen.

Pictures of my crude installation are here, but without the back-drape.

(It's actually been a long time since I even visited that site; muchless updated it...)

Leo

3. Alex Antin

Alex Antin Extra

I used to use a Stewart 144" 16x9 Silver (gain of 3.5) in my HT. I DID NOT want to see the equipment and wanted as close as i could get..the same presentation that a commerical cinema provided.

I sat 14' back from the screen and NEVER noticed the perfs. You do have to go to a higher gain screen (in my opinion) for the loss of the screen material that the perfs use. I used a Zenith PRO900 for a projector in an all back room with no windows.

If you want the very best...it will cost you but the result, again in my opinion, is worth it. Save up for a perf screen and if you can afforf it use a Stewart. Their perfs are the smallest in the industry. They also have a large selection of screens as far as gains and will perf any of them.

4. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    alex, have you seen the clearpix perf-screens?

i did notice the THX certified perfs from Stewart, but for the same $, i still prefer the clearpix =). at the same distance viewing the screens, there's some visible loss of definition of frojected video vs. clearpix =).

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dazian makes a perf material as well that you can stretch over a frame. Their eBay store often has it and is typically under $100 for a decent sized sample.

6. Alex Antin

Alex Antin Extra

I am not familiar with the clearviw selection of screens.

I don't want to sound like a salesam for Stewart but before i bought my screen i did a lot of research on movie screens in general and perforated screens in particular.

I knew that Stewart did many of the commerical theaters and i think all of the IMAX theaters in the USA. I went to CES to talk with Stewart about what i was going to accomplish. They were extremely helpful and showed me samples of screen material that i could compare to the samples I brought with me from Hurley and others.

I knew i wanted maximum contrast so they recommended the Silver 400. This is the screen material that all IMAX 3D theaters use. I wasnt sure about the hot spotting so when i placed my order I ordered 2 screens...1 Silver 400 1 normal White 100 (gain of 1).

To make a fair comparison..first i installed the White 100 and played scenes from the movie STREETS OF FIRE which has alot of dark scenes. Result..OK..I was happy..couldn't see the perfs. Then I took down the screen (thank God for my 21 year old son who helped) and installed the Silver 400 then playd the same scenes...WHAT a difference! The movie looked like it had great depth...almost 3D.

You are going to make a decent investment in your HT. Take the time and do research. Get some samples of screen materials. Call the companies and talk to a rep. Do homework. If the screen you really want is more expensive...WAIT...don't compromise. It is the focal point of your HT. You will be staring at it for 100's if not 1000's of hours.

Two words of caution on perf screens:

1. NO BASS behind the screen. You have to cut the Bass off at about 150 hz or else the screen material will vibrate. It looks like you dropped a stone in a static pool of water. The Subs go under the screen or to the left or right of the screen...not behind the actual material.

2. There will be a loss of Treble..which for me was fine cause most of the Digital Pprocessing when turning movies into video were too bright to begin with. I never had to ?turn up the treble" but that was my own taste. Yours may be different. That is the purpose of the THX screen...this doesn't happen.

I spent $7000 for a projector and $5000 for the screen. I know that seems like alot of money but i went to people's houses in my quest for info and saw some great projectors on very poor quality screens because they tried to save some money. End result..money wasted.

Hope this helps

7. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    hi alex,

thx for the insight =). i didn't know that about IMAX screens.

- there's a local custom install shop that has a very high end showroom with a few different brands of micro perfs. specifically, they had stewart, da-lite and clearpix. i spent quite a few weekends last year sometime demo-ing the screens. they were very helpful (and also cause no1 was around =).

re: bass. i think most people would be putting their subs in the corners to optimize performance, otherwise they would probably hang the screen off of the ceiling and a foot or more away from the front wall.

re: treble. that's true except for the clearpix, and this is why i favored the clearpix (personal preference). the problem is that the asking price for 100" diagonal is about $5,000!!!! WOW! that's 5x the cost of my front projector.

thus, like many of your friends, i went cheap on the screen (da-lite manual pulldown). i'm willing to save up and wait for the perf i want without losing picture quality and wide dispersion treble.

8. Marti D.

Marti D. Extra

You are absolutely wrong on this!!!
    You start cutting everything below 150hz and it will sound like hell!!

See my room :
    www.thedubstage.com
    No one I know cuts 150hz and below off their speakers on a perf screen
    with speakers behind it. I would suggest your make sure your screen is tight .

9. Alex Antin

Alex Antin Extra

The Bass speakers go below the screen or to the sides of the screen. No matter how "tight" your screen is...if you put subwoffers behind the screen it will vibrate or else the perfs are too big. This is done in ALL commerical movie theaters and is the recommendation of THX, Stewart Screen and others.

Of course if you have very samll bass speakers like 8"ers well. maybe but you are taking a risk

10. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Um.

All the Imax theaters I've been in put the bass cabinets behind the screen.

Come to think of it, all the theaters in this area put their bass cabinets behind the screen, too.

Leo Kerr

11. Marti D.

Marti D. Extra

Alex,
    Bass speakers and subwoofers are two different things. Subwoofers are put at the floor typically in the center of the screen. Bass bins are always directly below the mids and horns in a 3 way system. They are NOT put to the sides!. A Stewart Screen (Which most people in Hollywood mix with for their screen) are used with 2 and 3 way speaker systems like this behind the screen:

www.jblpro.com/pages/cinema/5000.htm

Subwoofers are put on the ground to couple with the floor for better low frequency.
    Look at the frequency response on the JBL 5000's I linked to .
    The bass bins go down to 40 Hz. The subwoffers are seperate dual 18" THX speced speakers that go down to around 20 hz. They typically aren't behind a screen because most screens don't go to the ground.