What's new

Does anyone understand The Beach, cause I don't! (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Alex Garland's The Tesseract is a very good read as well
Damn straight!
Anyway my thoughts on The Beach: the book was about (imo) how American popular culture has invaded the entire world. It continues the ideas of Hearts of Darkness and Apocalypse Now (i.e. bringing religion, democracy, or some other western institution to a primitive world). However in The Beach we've already destroyed the world in a more benign fashion, with our pop culture :laugh:. Casting an American in the movie was salt in the wound for fans of the book (in which Richard is appropriately British). The point was completely lost. Of course a Yank is obsessed with our crap! :laugh:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"I'm an American. I think in miles, not kilometers" (or words to that effect.)

That's when I began to hate the flick.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This was one terrible movie.

What was Danny Boyle thinking of.

He directed such a great film(Trainspotting) then goes on to this nonsense of a film.

The arcade game style of the movie, is when it really lost it.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Actually, JohnS, after Trainspotting Boyle made the execrable A Life Less Ordinary before making The Beach.

While I'm in the minority of liking The Beach, I'm sure anyone would consider it a step up from A Life Less Ordinary. Neither, of course, compare to Trainspotting (or Shallow Grave).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks