Does anyone understand The Beach, cause I don't!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terrell, May 1, 2002.

1. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Maybe I'm just dense, but I recently saw this film, and I don't understand it at all. Can someone help me with this film? I'll truly appreciate it.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I never saw the movie myself...nor do I plan to, so I'd also appreciate an explanation [​IMG]

3. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well, looking at critic's reviews at rottentomatoes.com, it seems they don't understand it either. It's got a critic's average rating of 23%. I guess I'd call it a narrative. A movie trying to be profound, but ending up stupid and muddled. But then I didn't get it. Maybe someone who did get it, can explain it to me.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I remember when Ebert reviewed it, he thought it was stupid, but still thought Dicaprio was good in it. It came out in my "avoid Dicaprio like the black plague" phase, so I never ended up seeing it.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

How to explain "The Beach"...

In one word? Ridiculous.

Another word? Pretentious.

Yet one more word? Boring.

But it did feature Virginie Ledoyen, which means I watched the whole thing :p

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Here are my 10 clues to unlocking this sexy thriller

1. Pay particular attention to when Leonardo pronounces the French man's (Etien) name as "ATM" or "Auntie Em". Where does he pronounce it "ATM"? Where does he pronounce it "Auntie Em"?

2. Notice the appearances of the large waterfalls.

3. Have you seen Lord of the Flies?

4. A topless sex scene is a wonderful event... notice the location of the topless sex scene.

5. The slow moving fan, is it strange or mysterious?

6. Notice coconuts, the sand, and the ocean.

7. What is felt, realized and gathered during the swimming scenes?

8. Did sexy good looks alone help Leo?

9. Note the occurrences surrounding the video game scene.

10. Where is "Taz"?

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thanks, David Lynch [​IMG]

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

If you're really wanting to understand the film, I suggest reading the excellent novel on which it was based.

Written by Alex Garland in case anyone wants to search. His other novels are worth reading too.

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I second the recomendation of the novel. The book is excellent and the film was a total mess in more ways than one...

Dan

10. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I always interpreted the film as the group of people were trying in vain to create a perfect utopian society away from the rest of the world, and no matter how hard they tried, they were still invaded by the violent outer world.

I personally liked the movie. Through the ads, I think too many people were expecting an action thriller and the film was something VERY different.

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

My interpretation was the same as Nate's. The photography was beautiful, I'll give it that, but the plot lacked sorely. It came across like they were trying to do too many things with the film and never succeeded at any of it.
    I can't say it was the worst 2 hours of my life, though it comes close. Its two hours I won't get back, but at least I got to see the movie for free. [​IMG]

12. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Maybe I'll read the book. Seems everyone is dumbfounded by this film as well.[​IMG]
    The only thing I could gather is what Nate said. They wanted to create a utopian society that was unlike the outside world. However, they were destroyed from within. First by moving the shark victim away, simply to keep him from interupting their fun. And then, when Sal pulled the trigger on Richard, and everyone came to the realization that she was not the person they thought she was. The place had become something it was supposed to be. It slowly turned them into the kind of people they were trying to get away from in the first place.

13. Roland G

Roland G Stunt Coordinator

I read "The Beach" before seeing the movie. The book is really great and my expections for the movie were high ...i mean it was Danny Boyle who directed it.

Okay..so the movie is a let down..in some ways.

Still i love it. Maybe its because i read the book and i can fill in some holes.

What Darius Khondji has done visually is fantastic !

The movie looks great..and its also very stylish...

So yes i had gribs with the movie. But overall it is enjoyable.

Note: the scenes where leo goes a mad are great !

kinda like A.I

you can almost see the greatness it could have been.

Very sad :-((

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I've read in some reviews that the book is excellent. On the page, the story was said to be excellent. On the screen it's a stinker.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Heh. This may close the thread, but it seemed anti-communist to me. So, from me, [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I like the movie. I started out making fun of it, but it's pretty cool. Stupid video game sequence aside. Plus, it's real easy to make fun of Leo.
    "That's an ASSHOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE suggestion!"
    "It's been REAL nice knowin' ya, Daffy!"
    Funny stuff.

16. Terrell

Terrell Producer

17. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I thought I was watching the Travel Channel for a while [​IMG] Made me want to go to the islands and catch some rays![​IMG]

18. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Even though I was expecting the film version of The Beach to be a stinker, I was truly appalled when I finally saw it because the book was so very good. I don't remember the video game sequence in the movie, but I remember the Game Boy in the book representing man's inability to completely remove himself from the trappings of society even when presented with a Thoreauian nature.
    Alex Garland's The Tesseract is a very good read as well - some have described it as Pulp Fiction in the Phillipines ...

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Sorry Terrell, love to help ya out, but the only thing I understood in this film was that Virginie Ledoyen was a fricken hottie!![​IMG]

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I liked the ending... the clash between the brutal natural setting of the climax and the clean, sterile technological web cafe is striking.