What's new

Does anyone think ARTISAN might swallow its pride and re-issue THE QUIET MAN again... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Harris and others have chimed-in on the "special edition" re-issue of this fine film, indicating in so many words that it's garbage, and many who have purchased it agree. Sales of this title must subsequently be less than stellar. I am wondering if Artisan is reading these threads and can actually admit they messed up. If they could grow gonads enough to do this (most studios wouldn't), we might get a DVD transferred from the superior elements we all know are available and have a reason to praise this company for a change. The above is an unabashed attempt to shame Artisan into considering a truly definitive QUIET MAN edition...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Paramount is supposed to be getting the Republic catalog back in the near future.

I think Paramount could do a more watchable job by just using the materials UCLA has.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I ran a gorgeous 35mm print of The Quiet Man (from Paramount) back in March. The print was struck in 2002 and had wonderful sharpness and color, so the elements are in good shape.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I really don't want Artisan to touch it again. Rebuplic put out some good releases like It's a Wonderful Life, The Bells of Saint Mary's, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers before Artisan took over. Republic advertised their upcoming DVDs including The Quiet Man and Young at Heart as future releases, and they eventually came out from Artisan as poor DVDs.

Just look at the back cover:

A grainy screenshot? I'm sure anyone reading this can put together a better design than that. Paramount controling the Republic catalog is great news!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought this reasoning that, well, if the transfer turned out to be poor, it was worth keeping for the extras.

However, I'd rather have bamboo shoots inserted 'neath my fingernails than have to sit through this insult of a DVD again. Maybe this is the only thing Artisan will understand; don't buy the damn thing!

---
So many films, so little time...

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Paramount is supposed to be getting the Republic catalog back in the near future.
Does that mean Paramount will get the rights to High Noon as well ? This is one of my all-time favorites and I would really love to see a better release from Paramount.

-D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yes, High Noon is part of the Republic library as well.

Other titles that will come too include the wonderful Betty Boop and other Max Fleischer cartoons (of course, minus the Popeye cartoons), the many excellent serials, and even Jane Russell in the classic Underwater!

Artisan has basically only lightly touched the Republic library.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
While we are waiting for Paramount to come to the rescue, does anyone know of a better transfer of THE QUIET MAN available in another region?

Terry St

Second Unit
If they had any pride they'd issue a recall on that DVD and replace existing copies with a proper release. Unfortunately, they clearly don't have any pride.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
yet another person waiting to buy a properly transfered/mastered DVD based on some decent elements. The current DVD (and laserdisc) looks like watching the movie through a fishbowl with vaseline smeared on the glass.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Of course Artisan will issue a new Quiet Man disc!

However, it will still be the same lousy transfer.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks