What's new

does anyone still buy Dreamcast games? (1 Viewer)

Paul__A

Grip
dont get me wrong, i love my XBOX, but everytime i go into a video game store i check for any DC games. probably the best system i've ever owned aside from my beloved NES. so, do you guys still look for DC games at all? also, where do you look? at least in my area the DC shelves grow emptier by the week.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
For the moment, I'm still buying DC games.

In my experience, mall based GameStops/EB/Funcolands are reducing their DC inventory - I can understand that, it makes good business sense to concentrate on higher revenue games in stores like that.

Non-mall stores - ones on strip malls or wherever, seem to still be stocking plenty of DC games. Certainly no shortage of DC games in my neck of the wood.

You'll find there's a raring second-hand market for DC games - GameStop/EB are getting a good stream of games as people 'trade up' to the other platforms.

It's worth keeping an eye on the EB website too - they're reducing prices each week on a number of games, clearing their stock of them. For instance, Donald Duck goes Quackers just got dropped to $5 new via their website.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Things are pretty barren around here. This sucks, because I was looking to pick up a DC when they went to $50, but they never got that cheap, and most of the software is still going for $30+. Then again, I was in a Microplay that was trying to charge $30 for NES games (carts only)this weekend...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think that DC will still be moving software well many years from now

My local Funcoland does gangbusters buisness on NES games they move 4-500 units every year

Andre F

Screenwriter
I stopped buying a long time ago. It might be time start ago with all the good deals I keep seeing.
-Andre F

ChrisV

Second Unit
Around here the only places to get them are EB and Toys 'R' Us. I still check every time I'm nearby.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I'm still buying them up like mad. Just when I think I've 'caught up' on all the Dreamcast titles, I see yet another game that looks interesting. Oh, BrianB, at your suggestion I found Draconus... is that George Takai(aka Sulu)'s voice in that game?
Our local Gamestop, EB, and Funcoland stores all stock a decent number of DC titles still. The prices are getting a little fairer, although some titles are still going for $39.99.
I found a new DC mouse/keyboard setup for $10, for which I can effectively play UT and Q3, as well as the surreal masterpiece Typing of the Dead. God, I wish we had access to that game back in typing class! There ain't nothing better to learn with than shootin' up zombies! :D
Joseph

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Absolutely! Whenever I go to a store that carries DC games I look for good deals. A lot of the more recent releases have yet to drop in price significantly but I've found incredible deals at Best Buy for 10.00 (Unreal Tournament, Metropolis Street Racer, Toy Commander) and Blockbuster for about 7.00 (Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi 2, Spider-Man). The games I still want include Tennis 2K2, Quake III, Ooga Booga, and Floigan Brothers. I have seen these titles in places like EB and Game Crazy but the prices aren't quite low enough for me just yet. The harder to find and more popular titles (Grandia 2, PSO ver. 2) I have paid 15.00 for each. As you can see I am a bit of a collector and many of the games I have yet to complete, so I'll be busy for awhile. All this amounts to my deciding to wait before I purchase a PS2 or Xbox. More than likely I will get the Xbox when Soul Calibur 2 comes out; the original is why I purchased the Dreamcast.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you can get me Spidey and Sonic Adv 2 for $7 apiece I'll paypal you the cash. They are non-existant around here

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I always have an eye out for DC games, although I (and several people I know) have had many bad experiences with used discs not playing (even after several cleanings). You pay almost full price for a hard-to-find game without packaging, and they just offer to rip off another layer of coating with their gamedoctor (no refunds). No thanks.

Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this, but I won't buy discs without without proper packaging / instructions. Being a collector, I like to see games in nice shiny cases with artwork! In mall-outlet retailers, 50% of their used inventory (or more) are often without packaging and in those cheesy orange slimcases with the title scrawled out in marking pen (many for $19.95 + !). Thus I prefer to buy online or in more independent stores whenever possible.

Joseph is right, just when you think you've gotten every great game for the system, another one pops up. I didn't realize how massive the catalog is. It's hard on the wallet...

Steve (74 DC games and counting...)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Jeff, I consider getting Sonic 2 and Spidey dumb luck. I haven't seen another opportunity like that lately.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I've imported Rez, Shenmue II & Headhunter. All three well worth the price. I started replaying Rez late yesterday afternoon to kill some time & was totally addicted again. Nothing beats playing level 5 -- total blast.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Jeff, last time I checked there was a used Dreamcast Spidey at my local GameStop. It has the instruction book but no backing (they slapped the 'dc web browser' backing on it instead). If you have no hope for finding this game (even online) and feel you won't ever find it, I can go look for it if you want. I only offer because this is a harder-to-find game than most of the others. We need to share the Dreamcast goodness around here. :D
The games I still want include Tennis 2K2, Quake III, Ooga Booga, and Floigan Brothers.
I guess I'm relatively lucky here because all of those games, including SA2, are pretty common in my neck of the woods. After the NGC and Xbox went down in price, I saw a huge increase in used DC titles.
Oh, and to stay on topic (because I realize this is not the official software trade/sale thread, sorry :b ), Soul Caliber still holds up to today's standards. This game was truly ahead of its time. I enjoy VF4 on the PS2 immensely, but SC has a kind of haunting, epic feel to it that makes it unique.
Steve_Y,
"Cannon..../?...spike?"
-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks