Does anyone remember Winky Dink & You?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty M, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This was the first truly interactive TV show. Winky Dink and You was a cartoon show where the kids helped Winky out of desperate situations. Winky Dink was an animated star. I'm not sure why the character was a star.

You had to purchase a clear plastic sheet that went over the TV screen and erasable crayons. If Winky got trapped at the edge of cliff, Winky asked the kids to draw a bridge for him. Once he crossed he asked the kids to erase the bridge so the bad guys couldn't get accross the bridge.

I have fond memories of this show in the mid - late 50s and will be released on DVD on 9/24/02.

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, I loved Winky Dink! Then one day I washed my plastic screen and set it on top of the furnace grate to dry. Apparently those things had a very low melting point....

Jan

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I remember. Wonder how many kids just wrote on the tv tube without the plastic![​IMG]
    P.S. I think Jack Barry was the host. He would later be involved in the Quiz Show scandals.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

5. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Well, I was 5 years old in 1955, and my older sister and I used to draw on the tv screen with crayons during this show..not a great idea, but it was cool.

7. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I drew on the television, but I never had any problem wiping the crayon marks off.

This show obviously had a resurgence around 1970 because that was about the time I saw it (I wasn't around in the 50's).