What's new

Does anyone remember Dave Allen at Large? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Wa

Agent
About 30+ years ago I was at my grandmother's house in north-central Ohio - she was the first person I knew to ever have cable. She had about 12 channels, one of which was Ch 9 from Windsor Canada. They showed a program called Dave Allen at Large, an Irish (IIRC) comedian that had what I thought was more risque humor than Benny Hill and a fettish for Catholic jokes. He would sit on a tall stool/chair with a glass of scotch while doing his monologues and skit intros. Benny Hill even made fun of him once - Allen was missing his right pointer finger to the first knuckle, and Benny sat in this tall stool "presenting" his right hand with his finger bent back. Totally cracked me up.

Just wonder whatever happened to him or his show. Haven't seen it now in probably 20+ years.

WillLon

Agent
Real Name
Wil
I remember the show well. The DVD release of this (even a R2 only release) would be one of my "Holy Grail" DVD releases.

The series was something like 33+ 50-minute specials from 1971-1986 or so. I watched the series on a PBS station from 1984-6. I've read that Allen withdrew the show from US syndication later because of so many letters complaining about the content of his humor (religion, the pope, sex, drinking, Irish, Catholics, religion and religion). (Guess those folks forgot they can change the channel or turn off the TV.) Anyway...

There are 3 UK/Australia-only PAL VHS releases from the late 1990s. Only 1 of these is on R2 DVD (On Life; which is just "stand up" material).

It would be a dream come true if A&E released this series.

anyone with A&E reading this out there ? hint hint. :)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I remember that show as well...Dave Allen was very funny, and yes Benny Hill did have a really funny spoof of Dave Allen At Large on one of his shows (I remember the missing finger gag too!). I have often wondered what ever became of Mr. Allen. Dave Allen at Large should be released on DVD. His show was to the BBC what Benny Hill's was to Thames. Does anyone also remember the Paul Hogan Show? I remember all 3 shows (Benny Hill, Dave Allen and Paul Hogan) airing in syndication on WOR-TV back in the early 80s, and loving all 3 of those shows.

William B.

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Hill's Allen impersonation notwithstanding, besides the 1980 run on WOR-TV (now WWOR) alongside Hill, I recall that WPIX/Ch. 11 in New York aired DAAL in 1975. I also remember that the shows had a somewhat different opening title sequence from the run of shows Ch. 9 aired some five years later (but the theme music was the same). Evidently from the short run on both stations, most New Yorkers didn't "get" Dave Allen. My mother and I, however, recall Mr. Allen fondly. Interestingly, his show had as supporting players a few people who also at one time or another had ties to Hill's show: Ronnie Brody, Michael Sharvell-Martin, and Susie Baker.

As for whatever became of Dave Allen, I seem to remember that when last heard from he was in Australia; for more info, I would recommend . . .
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0020411/

Chris_Wa

Agent
Dave Allen is alive and well :)

Found a couple sites:

trishbennett.0catch.com/daveallen.html

screenonline.org.uk/people/id/838629/

Apparently he's only 68 - when I saw him 30 years ago I thought he looked to be almost 50 then!

If the Brits ever do release anything I may have to pick it up! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks