Does anyone pay attention to alarms anymore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I was walking in from the parking lot the other day and I realized someone's car alarm was going off. I didn't even turn to look what was happening... because I hear them all the time here in the city. I realized I've been conditioned to ignore them because I've heard so many false alarms due to some dope sitting on his/her panic button or they have it set so sensitivly that it goes off if you look at it. I just ignore 'em. And I've noticed everyone else does too.

Also, I don't know how many times I've seen someone walking out of Target or a similar store and have that anti-theft alarm go off only to have the greeter/store employee just wave them on or ignore them completely. Even when the patron stops and seems to willingly offer up their bags for inspection. I've now taken to just continuing to walk if they go off for me. I figure, if they suspect me of stealing (which I'm not, by the way), they can come and grab me. No one ever does. I'm now conditioned to ignore those alarms as well.

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    That's a good point. I don't pay attention to car or store alarms anymore either. The reason is just like you said, they have been so embedded in our everyday lives that you just get conditioned to ignore them. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

If you can hear the alarm, that means that the car is still there, right ? The time to worry is when you don't hear it :wink:

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

The day might come when the car thief figures out how to steal the car while leaving the alarm there. That'll be something to behold.

5. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I've never wanted an alarm on my car because of the sheer nuisance of the noise. Provided a thief doesn't have a hacksaw (and 95% of them usually don't)I believe a good club will do the trick of deterrent, and I also don't leave any valuables lying around on the seats, and keep my Pioneer stereo detachable faceplate hidden or on my person. Out of sight, out of mind.

I don't ignore store alarms, though. That's not really a good idea. Cooperation is the key.

6. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I've got a little story for you.

I work in a large office building, along with hundreds and hundreds of other people. About a week ago the alarm went off- a high pitched rhythmic screeching sound, followed by a recorded warning: "An Emergency situation has been detected on this floor. Please evacuate the building immediately. Do not use the elevators." So we all slowly made our way down the stairs and outside into the sun, where we waited for about 15 minutes before a security guard started letting people back in. Avoiding the traffic jam at the elevator area, I took the relatively deserted stairs up five flights to my office. Right as I reached my desk the alarm started going off again. As I'm spinning on my heel, a man's voice came over the PA system: "There is a problem with the alarm system. Please disregard all alarms until further notice." Okay, so I sit down and the alarm starts again. It wasn't until then that I noticed that the alarm speaker is in the ceiling, directly over my head. After 30 or 40 seconds of the blaring squeal I thought my brain was going to burst. I eventually fashioned some crude earplugs out of Kleenex, and just as I managed to successfully dull the sound the alarm abruptly stopped. I was understandably hesitant to toss my Kleenex-plugs for fear that it would start again. After a good 30 seconds of silence I finally tossed them in the trash. Of course the alarm started again right as they hit the bottom of the basket. Luckily it stopped before I could decide whether to fish those ones out of the trash, or start from scratch with a new tissue. Then the man's voice came back: "We've corrected the problem with the alarm system. From this point on regard all alarm signals as actual emergencies. Thank you." Click...Maybe a half second of Silence...SQUEEEAAAAL!!!!! Yes, the alarm was back on. However, even though we had just been warned that an alarm meant an actual emergency, several hundred people, including me, chose to ignore it as best we could. So it seems that, much like the boy who cried "Wolf!," an alarm is only effective if you don't hear it regularly.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I live in kind of a crappy part of town, I've caught 2 guys breaking into another car, and a couple cars and a garage have been broken into in our parking lot. I have an alarm (it never goes off unless something is wrong, I actually adjust the shock sensor...) but my car has never been touched, and I have a pretty enticing double din CD deck in it, much nicer than the others that have been stolen. I think the flashing LED and alarm sticker is enough to keep the average smash and dash theif away.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I must state that I have an alarm on my own car. And one winter afternoon my car was parked in front of my house on the street.

I'm in my livingroom playing with my son and I hear this honking alarm. It keeps going and going and going. I peek out the window at my car but can't see if the lights are flashing due to the snow bank. Besides, it sounded like it was coming from up the street. Also, per my owner's manual, it stated my alarm shuts itself off after a minute or so. This one was going off for 10 minutes!

"What kind of dope doesn't hear that!?" I say to myself as I step outside to see whose car it is.

IT WAS MINE! Something must have shorted or malfunctioned causing it to stay on. There was no break-in, it just freaked out.

I had to sneak out there to shut it off because I was too embarassed to have let it go for that long.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hah. One morning my alarm was going off at my old place. I had just gotten up, and left my car parked on the street under a tree in case it hailed (big thunderstom that night) I'm sitting at my computer and hear my alarm, so I go running outside and walk around the car, nothing seems wrong. Then I notice a tree branch laying in the street in front of my car, about 1" in diameter and a few feet, maybe four, long. Damn thing fell out of the tree and onto my hood, leaving a quarter sized dent [​IMG]

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Disneyland, Anaheim, CA. Standing at the top of the new parking structure directly across the street from where they shoot-off their fireworks. Nothing sounds worse than 100's of car alarms going off at the same time.
    I ignore alarms.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I guess I'm a sucker, but I always go out and check if I hear a car alarm go off, and it goes on for more than a few seconds. I figure it's the least I can do and hope someone does the same thing if my alarm goes off.

I have one in my car, but it's never gone off (well, except for once when I accidentally set it off myself). It also disables the ignition so the car can't be started (although I'm sure a good thief can circumvent that).

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The last time I was in Brooklyn, it seemed like a different alarm went off every half hour or so. It made me wonder why bother getting an alarm. Nobody notices or cares about an alarm going off.

13. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I ignore car alarms in the sense that I do not react to the "threat" posed by warning. But I cannot ignore them when they are blaring noise outside my window. I live by the train and it sets off car alarms all the time! I've learned to tune out the train sounds but it is very hard to tune out those screeching car alarms. I sometimes feel like giving the car alarm a good reason for going off, but of course I never do.

On a related note. I also ignore it when people leave their headlights on. I don't bother warning them because I got tired of people telling me that the lights would go off by themselves.

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I wonder how long it will be before one of out natural prey animals will develop a car alarm sound as a defense mechanism.
    Would be pretty funny for the farmer to approach a cow out in a field when the cow starts going off like a siren. Then the farmer will promptly turn around muttering "damn car alarms".
    [​IMG]

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, people tell me this all the time (my car turns off the lights after 8 minutes if I forget, after about 2 mimutes if I turn them off after I turn off the ignition)...

I think most new cars have this function, so I don't tell people unless their car is at least a few years old.

/Mike

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

along the headlight lines, some motorcycles have 2 bulbs in front, like this |/ with one left and one right, but one is low beam and one is high, so people are always telling you that there is a burnt out bulb.

17. AviTevet

AviTevet Stunt Coordinator

Subarus turn off the headlights when you turn the ignition off. It seems like this should be the default... I can't imagine a person would want the headlights on with no key in the ignition more often than the headlights off with no key in the ignition.