Does anyone own the Atom Egoyan Box Set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Leonard, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

This box set--which contains Calendar, The Adjuster, The Sweet Hereafter, Exotica and Felicia's Journey--is a Candian exclusive, which means it should be playable in R1-encoded machines.
    I enjoyed The Sweet Hereafter very much, and the snippets I've seen of Felicia's Journey and Exotica were facisnating, to say the least. This box set seems like a logical way to acquire a big chunk of Egoyan's output.
    If anybody has this set, can you answer this question for me: do the discs enclosed contain superior transfers to their individual counterparts or have any bonus features that are exclusive? Also, can anyone confirm that Calendar and The Adjuster are not available seperately yet? I have not been able to locate any reviews of this box set, so any additional comments you may have are welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't clear if you knew this or not, but both CALENDAR and ADJUSTER are available in US R1. I don't know how the ADJUSTER DVD (MGM) is, but the CALENDAR (Zeitgeist) DVD is rather packed.

I have no idea how they compare to their Canadian brethren discs, however.

3. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Beyond packaging and logos, it is my understanding that only the Adjuster DVD differs from the US version. The Alliance version contains an Egoyan commentary track (as well as a short film, if I'm not mistaken.) I believe the Calendar disk is more-or-less indentical to the Zeitgeist version. I've read on this forum that the transfer on the Canadian Adjuster DVD is disappointing, but I doubt many people have compared it directly to the MGM version.
    I think it may be less expensive to purchase these disks in the box, rather than separately, so the additional bonuses on the Adjuster disk may steer you in that direction.
    I've a friend who has the box, and the packaging is fine. You can avoid the New Line snapper for The Sweet Hereafter if that sort of thing bugs you. (It is one of my favorite DVD packages.) I think the box itself is rather flimsy cardboard, but I may be misremembering.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I have the MGM The Adjuster DVD and it has a serviceable anamorphic transfer. IIRC the Canadian disks were non-anamorphic, but I have no first hand knowledge.
    Ted

5. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Thanks all for the reviews and info.
    If I follow correctly, the box set contains this:
    Calendar (same as US release)
    The Adjuster (Alliance version; different from MGM release)
    Exotica (N/A; presumably the same as US version)
    The Sweet Hereafter (same as New Line Platinum release)
    Felicia's Journey (N/A; presumably the same as Artisan release)
    Sounds like a winner! Now, I just gotta find a place that is selling this...