Does anyone own the 1964 NY WORLDS FAIR DVD or the Palisades Amusement Park Video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I grew up in New York and vividly remember both of these places. I am wondering if anyone has purchased the WORLDS FAIR DVD or the PALISADES AMUSEMENT PARK (New Jersey) video tape and, if so, if you feel these titles are in-depth studies of their subjects and contain enough god footage to be truly worthwhile for nostalgia purposes. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh - and does anyone know if a video exists for FREEDOMLAND USA in the Bronx (bigger than Disneyland, but closed after only two years of operation)?

2. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

I was going to buy the 1964 World's Fair DVD, but decided to rent it through Netflix. Judd Hirsch narrates the documentary and although it provides some good information, it is not very in-depth. There are many people who attended the World's Fair as teens/children and they give their opinions of the Fair as adults now. (I guess this is to pad the time of the DVD because although there is actual footage from the 60's, it just didn't seem very comprehensive or plentiful.)
    I grew up in New Jersey and visited the Fair and wanted to relive some old memories with this DVD. To a degree it did--but not a very large degree. You might want to rent before you buy, although I've seen this DVD in stores at 50% off. Even at that price I don't think I'd ever watch it twice though.

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I lived in Manhattan back then and went to both. Palisades Park - "Skip the bother and skip the fuss, take a Public Service Bus." And, "The world's largest salt water pool". Many years later my brother and his wife bought a condo at Winston Towers in Ft. Lee which is the site of Palisades Park. The World's Fair was a lot of fun. I still have some 35mm color slides I took at Louis Armstrong Stadium (before it became a tennis venue) of a concert given by jazz piano great Erroll Garner.
    [Edited last by Peter Kline on September 09, 2001 at 02:29 PM]

4. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I own a copy of the 1964 World's Fair DVD. It is okay. Not a terrific transfer, not a terrific documentary, but interesting and nostalgic just the same. It features people who attended the fair and focuses on reminicences.
    On the same subject, I would love to get a hold of "To The Fair". This was done by the same team that did the Johnson's Wax film, "To Be Alive". It was a contemporary piece, probably done for sales and publicity purposes but marvelous just the same.
    Also, am just aching for a copy of "To Be Alive". With the current widescreen techniques, they probably could fit all three screens onto a single picture. It would be small, but worth it.