1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone own or have any experience with the Pioneer DV-37?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan Tracey, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

If so...Is it as good as the review I read on it? Is it actually a value for the $1000 price tag?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I assume you read the SGHT review that I just read (!).
    Here's a different take on it:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-3-2001.html
    Not so glowing, unfortunately. (And I have a DV-05 that they really didn't like...)
    The trick with DVD player reviews on Secrets, is to compare reviews of different players against each other.
    ------------------

3. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I have the DV-37, and I have been pleased with its performance. Having said that, I will also say that the guys at Secrets have exposed some flaws, although at this point I'm lucky enough (and perhaps blind enough) that I haven't noticed. However, even if you, like me, couldn't see the problems, I think you could find an equal or better player for far less than $1000 (the Panasonics come to mind), with more features and fewer of these problems. For $1000, you would most certainly find a newer, better player.

4. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

Well, back to searching a new player till I can test the Pioneer out! Thanks for the help!

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I'd agree with the others here. I have the DV-37 and if I had to do it all over again, I probably would not buy one. Don't get me wrong - it's not horrible and in many ways it's a good player - but it does have problems. First and foremost is the aforementioned chroma bug. This player has it pretty bad, and I notice it so it's bothersome. Deinterlacing performance seems ok, but I think for the money other companies are providing more quality and additional features.
    You may want to take a look at Panasonic's RP-91, which seems to be pretty popular among members.
    [Edited for stupid spelling mistakes]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Scott-C on November 14, 2001 at 10:35 AM]