Does anyone own a Sony STR-DE595 receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill_Wil, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

I was trying to help out someone who just bought a brand new STR-DE595 but it seems like the receiver might be defective.
    There is no sound when using the optical cable but sound works fine with analog cables. The setting on the DVD player are correct for sending the digital signal through the optical cable. For some reason the receiver isnt recognizing the optical connection. As a matter of fact if you cycle through the audio input modes it shows analog, coax, and auto. It skips right over optical. Thats why I think theres something wrong with the receiver. I told them to select "auto" and it would detect the type of signal and give priority to the digital over analog like its supposed to. No luck. There was no sound when using the optical cable.
    I'm hoping that someone here has experienced this before and knows of a solution short of sending it back. Thanks.

Bill

2. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I think I know what the problem is here. Try switching from the "DVD" source to the "Video 2" or maybe "Video 1" source. I am pretty sure that the optical inputs are dedicated to Video 2 or 1, and the coax input is dedicated to the DVD input. There is no way to reassign them.

Anyway, thats how it works on my HTIB reciever, which i believe is pretty much identical to the -595 except for the component video switching.

Mark

3. Bill_Wil

Thanks, I'll let them know. Although they told me that the 2 optical inputs were labeled DVD and CD. I'll see if your idea works.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

4. Abby

Abby Extra

WhooHOO! It works! It's bizarre, but it works.

Thanks Bill_Wil for all your help!

And Mark, thanks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.[​IMG]

Oh, and for reference, it's the video 2. Video 1 only has analog, I think.

5. Bill_Wil

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. As you can see from Abby's response your solution worked.
    Once again all is well in HT land thanks to this great forum. [​IMG]
    Thanks again.

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Glad it worked out for you.

Does your DVD player have a digital coax output? If you used that then you wouldn't have to hit Video 2 to watch DVD's.

Mark

7. Abby

Abby Extra

Nope, it's an older, slim-line model. It'd be cheap today but back when I got it, it was over $100. When dvd recorders get cheap or I get a widescreen tv (oh yeah, that'll happen soon), I'll get a better dvd player. Right now, it does all I need and with the component cables the image quality is really nice.