Does anyone own a Denon 1603?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

The title is the basic question. There have been numerous threads where people have auditioned the 1603 and had considered buying it. My questoins are: anyone bought the 1603? How do you like it? Are there any problems (or potential problems) that you see? How does it rate comapred to any other receivers you have used? etc.

I am considering buying the 1603 with some Christmas money (if I get enough) and was wanting some real life users opinions.

Thanks.

2. Jeff Braddock

Surely there are some owners out there somewhere...

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I just got the 1803 which, i believe, is very similar to the 1603, except adds DDEX, DTS-ES, and NEO:6. I am very pleased with it. I was given the chance to upgrade from a Pioneer VSX-D811S for next to nothing (building a friend a pair of speaker stands). Sonicly, i've noticed no real difference, but i believe the build quality is a bit superior (aluminum face/knobs, heavier), and the 80Hz crossover is nice. I am, however, sorry to lose pre-outs for all channels and 7.1 inputs (neither of which i use, but it's nice to know they're there).
    This being said, If you're considering the 1603 and $$ is a large concern, i would look strongly at the Pioneer 811S. As i said, sonicly, it is in the same class as the 1803, and will add many options that the 1603 doesn't have (DDEX, DTS-ES, NEO:6, 6.1/7.1 speaker setup, pre-outs, 7.1ch inputs, ect...). It will also save you around $30 - $50. Same sound + more features + less money seams like a winning combination to me.
    Hope this helps, and if not, at least it's something else to think about. [​IMG]

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Truthfully, I thought 2ch sounded fine on the 811S with the loudness option turned on. I have noticed a bit wider sound stage with the 1803, but overall, not a large difference.

You may want to take my opinions with a grain of salt though, because 95% of my listening is HT, TV, and DVD. 2ch music listening is not high on my priority list, so i haven't done ALOT of critical listening with either on pure 2ch material.

Either way, in the price range, for HT, i don't think the 811S can be beat. I mentioned that it's build quality is slightly below my 1803. This being said, the 811S build quality is much greater than other entries in the price range, like the Pannasonic HE70 and HE100.

Hope this helps

6. Jeff Braddock

anybody?