Does anyone offer just internet?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by TonyD, Jan 12, 2015.

1. 61 Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Stan

Stan Producer

Well I'm not using dialup. Been a long time, don't even think I have the hardware any longer.

People actually still use "modems"? I remember using one to access the internet a long, long time ago. Still have my original MSN address, probably 30+ years old by now. Used to have to pay for it, now it's just a freebie.

Surprisingly my 3Mbs. is perfectly fine. Give it a few minutes, the buffer fills and I can watch any video, never cuts out. HDMI port so can play back on my HDTV, built in DVD player. Amazing how things have changed. Did one of those speed tests, 4.49 Mbps. download, 0.62 upload. Not great, but it works. Comcast is great for internet, but I absolutely despise the company, so not going to happen.

We're very similar, except I do pay for the HBO channels and HD service (Dish Network). Otherwise, just the basics. Don't even own a cell-phone. I'll probably get a cheap Trac-Fone from Walmart (which behind the scenes is actually from AT&T), but that's it. A few hours a month, pay as I go, strictly a back-up for emergencies. Used to manage 200-300 cell phone accounts, hated it, so major burn-out with cell phones. And surprisingly, life goes on just fine without one.

May even piggyback off my neighbors' Wi-Fi (she knows about it, we'd split the cost). But my laptop antennae just isn't reliable. Odd, it's not even a year old, Win10, all the latest, but can't pick up a signal 75 feet away.

Had a ten year old Toshiba that never had a problem, I could connect all over the neighborhood, full strength and no issues at all. Hardly consider myself a hacker, but passwords on some systems were very easy to get through. Seriously, "1234", "password", etc. Amazing people can be so clueless.

I miss the old functions of my phone. It used to blink when I had a voice-mail, but now, no way to know until you pick up the phone and then you get a series of fast beeps. Hit #98, password, etc. Such a pain. Why can't it just go local and go to my phone base, not on CenturyLink's system, but on my hardware.

Kind of like everything being sucked up by "the cloud". I keep local copies of some stuff, but for the most part, it's just out "there". Big brother is watching, storing, analyzing everything we do.

Well, time for me to put on my tin foil hat and watch Jurassic World :blush:

Sorry for my rambling on again, kind of an invalid for the next week or two after spinal surgery, so I get a little bored :rolleyes:

2. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    In addition to the basic package, the other people I live with are subscribed to channels I don't watch at all. They appear to be channels in german or hebrew (or yiddish ... I don't know offhand). (I live with some older relatives currently, where we split the monthly bill).

Stan likes this.
  3. Stan

Stan Producer

I'm guessing that's a New York, east coast kind of thing. We don't have anything like that on the west side of the US that I know of. Have some channels in Spanish, but that's it for "multi-cultural".

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    So a year of ATT gigapower I have no complaints.

My plan was the 300 mps but when I plug the router directly into my laptop I was
    getting nearly 400 up and down.

Now we are movig to a location that doesnt have att gigapower so that blows.

Only one company offers speeds highwr than 40 mgps and that is Comcast/Xfinity.

I really dislike them but I have no choice if I want decent speed.

They offer 150 down and I think maybe it's 10 up.

Plus a 1 tb max per month.

It's $70 a month for a year but that includes $10 a month for the router.

Looks like I'll need to find one to buy that works with this.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The cable company should supply you with a list of "approved" routers.

Then find the cheapest one on the internet, Tony! :laugh:

6. Stan

Stan Producer

400? That's amazing. I get 3, not 300 but 3, with CenturyLink. Dish Network sent me a thing to bundle phone/TV/internet and guaranteed 10 megs. Keep my original TV package and the phone/internet is half the price of CenturyLink so I'll give them a try..I don't think they provide the service, probably will contract it out to somebody else, but I'll give it a shot.

I will never do business with Comcast/Xfinity again. Horrible company. Things were very high speed, when they worked, but they were terribly unreliable.

CenturyLink is also on my list of awful companies, but not a lot of choice right now. We had a big wind/ice storm a few years ago. Lost service for almost two months and they had the nerve to try and charge me for nothing. Probably all just computer generated bills, but after long discussions, we settled and they fixed the bill.