What's new

Does anyone offer just internet? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Our "bundle" with Comcast just passed the one year mark so it went from $63 up to $91

All we have is a minimal tv package, that we don't use and the 50g internet "blast" plan.

All we want is internet since we use Directv for tv, sports.

After doing some searching on various sites for internet all I can find are bundles or plans that require phone and or tv.

I would rather not pay nearly $100 just for internet access.

Are there no options for this?

I spent 40 minutes on the phone, 25 of which was me redialing after continually being disconnected, 15 of which was speaking to several people in India and then again being hung up on.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Good luck, you should be able to call up Concast and threaten to switch fully to Directv or something and they probably will keep extending your "bundle"...

Jay

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I un-bundled (only had phone and Internet) and downgraded my speed to 6 Mbps (Performance Starter) with Comcast a few years ago. I guess I got lucky as far as reaching a customer service rep willing to just let me do that without trying to make me commit to something else. We pay $49.95 a month for that. I also bought my own modem so I'm not paying a monthly lease fee.

I guess I could bump the speed up to 50 Mpbs (Performance) for $4 more a month, but we haven't really hit a frustration point with the speeds as they are. $48 could buy us a nice meal at our favorite steakhouse. :)

Here's what I see currently for Comcast's Internet only options:

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.54.48 AM.png

This is a good breakdown of money-saving options and rationale: http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/why-the-comcast-internet-plus-tv-packages-are-bad-deals-for-cord-cutters/

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Even when I lived in Indy, when I had a home phone, DSL with any sort of capacity was $75.

I miss my unlimited Sprint 4G for $60. Lost that when my thumbdrive was "no longer supported"...

I've been cellular internet(had Wild Blue for a year, as part of ADT) for 12 years.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Cameron, I saw all of that and they all require additional tv or phone service.
A few days ago I got an email with an offer of $69 for two years.
Called, had a guy take 15 minutes to find my account, couldn't find the deal from my email. After a total of nearly 30 minutes he said he was transferring me and then promptly disconnected me.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I currently pay $50 monthly for AT&T Uverse. Not a bad deal considering that connection supports streaming television programming, landline phone, and internet access.

My first home internet connection was in 1997, and I happily paid $30 for a computer only landline plus $25 for monthly dialup.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm having to shell out $70/m for a 3Mbps wireless (line-of-sight terrestrial) connection from an ISP 15 miles away. My only other option is satellite and that's a losing proposition here. Data caps, bad signal, not an "always on" broadband connection with low latency which is required for my AT&T microcell. (Our town has horrible cell phone service but that's a different thread entirely.)

I also remember when I first got dial-up service in 1995. The fastest connection I could ever achieve on my ISP's local dial-up number was 14.4kbps but it was usually 9.6kbps. If I called their main dial-up number which was long distance for me, I could get 28.8kbps. I'm thinking the dial-up service back then was $25.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
TonyD said:
Called, had a guy take 15 minutes to find my account, couldn't find the deal from my email. After a total of nearly 30 minutes he said he was transferring me and then promptly disconnected me.

So despite listing Internet only as an option with all the non-promo pricing, they simply won't give it to you?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No at the bottom of each one it says additional subscription required

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It depends upon where you live. In Boise I use Clear (ex-Clearwire, now owned by Sprint). Just internet access costs $30 a month plus $5 modem rental. I'd give the service a "B" grade.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
In Orlando, I am seeing these options for internet only on Comcast's site. None of them seem to require other services. If you aren't seeing these when you are on their web page, you might try clearing cookies. It is possible their site set a cookie so they know what your current account services are and aren't showing you other options.

-Keith

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 9.18.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 9.18.22 AM.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 92

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Keith I thought I answered you but I apparently didn't.

I have the 50 and that price is 10 less than what we pay now.

Since it includes HBO I guess we're paying extra for that.
Anything lower than the 50 is pointless as far as I'm concerned.
Just have to wait for a deal.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
TonyD said:
Our "bundle" with Comcast just passed the one year mark so it went from $63 up to $91

All we have is a minimal tv package, that we don't use and the 50g internet "blast" plan.

After doing some searching on various sites for internet all I can find are bundles or plans that require phone and or tv.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone, 25 of which was me redialing after continually being disconnected, 15 of which was speaking to several people in India and then again being hung up on.

TonyD said:

I know it seems like a useless gesture, but lodge formal complaints with The Better Business Bureau and your State Representative. After service like that, you have to stick it back to them any way you can. I've had these same problems when dealing with Comcast and I felt much better after complaining of their bad business practices to the above mentioned places. You have to consider it one more small bit of pressure to force them to change their ways.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Semi related. Had Dish TV for years, perfect service. Then they talked me into their "Triple Play", phone, internet and TV in one package.

Mega disaster. Phone and internet rarely worked and they constantly did "remote" fixes which did nothing. I refused to pay the bill until things worked. After months of their supposed fixes, I finally cancelled.

Sounds so bizarre, but CenturyLink was contracted to do the phone/internet portion, something I didn't know. My new service was also with CenturyLink, but maybe you get better service when they're not just a subcontractor. A physical tech, not doing things remotely, fixed all the problems and things worked great. Original install had been wired incorrectly.

Even more bizarre is Dish wanted me back as a customer, so two months later I'm back on their system. But the only way I would agree to it was if they waived the charges. $950 was wiped from my account and we're on good terms now.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
TonyD said:

Here in Northeast Ohio, until Oct 2012 we had DirecTV for our TV service and paid Time Warner Cable $29.95 a month for its basic Roadrunner service. And we could have paid more and gotten one of the faster versions of Roadrunner, but we only use the computer for surfing the net and email so the slower Roadrunner sufficed. In Oct 2012, for various reasons, including losing TV reception during heavy rains, we dropped DirecTV and now get everything through TWC.

But, here in our area, I know that many people still use Time Warner Cable for internet only. That's what my stepson does and he and his wife download the TV shows they want off of the internet. He doesn't seem to mind all of the fussing and hassles he goes through to grab the shows they want, and he thinks that his Mom and I are crazy to pay $186 a month for cable TV/internet service. But I'm not about to switch to his methods, even with him bragging that one of my favorite HBO programs, Real Time with Bill Maher, can be grabbed off of the internet for free, as soon as a day after it is first telecast. Besides, with his suspiciously high data usage, I have a strong feeling that Time Warner Cable is going to be catching on to what my stepson is up to, any day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks