What's new

Does anyone make such a DVD Recorder? (1 Viewer)

Mark-B

Auditioning
I am making some additions to my current home theater setup. One of these is replacing my dusty, unused VCR with a DVD recorder. I'm also going to get an HD DVR from my cable company. I'm going to come out of that using component video and digital optical. I'd like to go through a DVD recorder to get to my receiver so that I can record a TV show to a DVD.

Here's my problem: I can't find a DVD recorder that has component in/out and optical in/out. Does anyone know of one on the market (bonus points if it will encode the audio as an AC3 so I can record 5.1 surround onto the DVD)? The other requirement is that it must use DVD-R media. I'd like to be able to use the same blank DVD's on my computer and on my DVD recorder. My computer is almost four years old and only burns DVD-R's. If that isn't on the market, I'll just send S-Video and stereo RCA's out of my receiver into the recorder.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
The Panasonics have component out and optical out. I don't think there are any dvd writers with component inputs and digital audio inputs because they don't want it to be able to duplicate a high def picture from another source for copyright purposes, I guess. The best you can do is s-video in and stereo in.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Some of the older Philips and maybe Toshiba recorders had component in. I have not seen anything with optical or digital audio inputs.
Even if there were a recorder out there with component in you are still faced with the 480 line limit of the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks