What's new

Does anyone make a multichannel audio switch? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That's the question. I have two 5.1 sources and I need to switch between them. I'm a little surprised that Outlaw didn't incorporate this feature into the ICBM. I want a better solution than the multiple Radio Shack audio switches that I'm using now.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
Philip,
I have heard of people using Y-adapters for this. Monster makes a good quality Y-adapter that I think sell for around $15.00 each. I would like to hear how this has worked for those who use it, since some have said that one source may interfere with the other. I would suspect this would only be a problem if both source units were turned on.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I will look into Y-adapter when and if I get a multi-channel SACD player. I already have a DVD-Audio player, and my receiver only has one set of 5.1-channel inputs. Y-adapters look like the best way to accommodate DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD players to me. I doubt sound degradation would be an issue if the connections are solid. I would probably get the Monster Y-adapters.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The most economical way to do it with the best results would be via a db25 switcher with the db25 output into your receiver. You would need to make 2 analog RCA 6 channel cables each into a db25 connector. Other than that, extron (www.extron.com), audio authority and a host of other may have switchers that are better but may be lots more money.

PomingF

Second Unit
Phil, a few folks over @ AVS started a post about building one and I did not follow that post long enough to tell you what come out of it. Also I recall reading a recent post over there kinda similar to yours and someone put up a link. Do a search or start a post over there.
PF

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
A Y - adapter is not an option. Any time that DOlby Digital or DTS sound is coming off DVD, then both the internal DVD player decoders and the external decoders will be active. This would play hell with a Y adapter.
The DB25 switch is something I've considered, and still may. However, I'd prefer something more audio dedicated. I don't trust the circuit paths in a computer grade DB25 switch for high resolution audio such as DVD-Audio.
Well, for now I guess it's time to stick it out with the Radio Shack audio switches. At least they are dedicated audio switches.
frown.gif

I have to admit I'm very disapointed with Outlaw for not allowing for multiple inputs into the ICBM. However, I'm still enthusiastically awaiting mine.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks