Does anyone know why "The Enemy Below" DVD has been cancelled?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I just found out from DVD Empire that The Enemy Below has been cancelled by Fox. Does anyone have any info on why this has been pulled off the schedule? Thanks.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I guess Mr MOD you should combine these threads. I was composing mine while the other was posted just before mine.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Hopefully, Peter Staddon will comment as to why this dvd release was delayed. It will probably be rescheduled at a later date going by past history.

Crawdaddy

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Based on our membership's lack of participation in this thread, it looks like another classic film being lost in the scuffle.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

6. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

Strange things are happening. Apparently, Enemy Below will be released by Fox on May 3 in Germany (specs: 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen; DD4.0 sound; trailer as an extra).

The German cover of Duell Im Atlantik:
    [​IMG]

So why not on R1?

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Through Amazon's German branch it looks like the cost will be 35.49 Euros which includes shipping. So unless someone can give me some aurthoritative information about the cancelled/delayed R1 version, I may very well buy this German version or another region's version if one is announced, assuming that there are not locked in subtitles with the English track. It is also available now from CD Japan for 3885 Yen including shipping.

Update! I purchased the R2 version from CD Japan. Too bad Fox USA is sticking it to us in regards to a R1 release.

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

10. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Foxs Website shows this title up for preorder but they show it as being in mono! the film sure was stereo on laser. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Japanese version

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I don't check this portion of the forum out that much, but I'm perplexed and disappointed to hear that this title has been cancelled, or ( hopefully ) merely delayed.

I'm very happy to see Fox opening up its vaults and I will continue to support older releases, but its terribly frustrating when a highly anticipated title, such as this one, is delayed or shelved.

- Walter.

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

In the past I've been a proponent in this forum of studios being very out front about why titles get delayed or canceled. I've had virtually no support in my appeals for this sort of explanation. So I guess both of us will have to remain perplexed and disappointed about this title's R1 fate.

13. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Add me to the roster of those who really want to own the classic THE ENEMY BELOW (in anamorphic widescreen & stereo) on Region 1 DVD from Fox, and would much appreciate a formal explanation for the apparent cancellation/delay of same.

Thanks for your time & attention.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

My Japanese R2 "The Enemy Below" arrived a short while ago. I'll report back on it tonite or tomorrow.

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I watched my Japanese R2 "The Enemy Below" DVD last night. It had nice audio & the transfer was decent enough for a 46 yr old film. Not spectacular, just a pretty bare bones disc, except for the trailer. Japanese & English subs were removable. So unless Fox decides on a R1 release at some distant time, this & the German disc appear to be your only choices.

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Was the Japanese disc stereo 2.0. 4.0 was the picture anamorphic. give us some clues

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The packaging said it was for 16:9 Tvs, but my television is not one of those types so I don't know if it truly is anamorphic. It is 4.0 Dolby.

18. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Do you have it on order? If so, please let us know when you receive it. Thanks.

20. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit