Does anyone know why some web pages show up like this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Olson, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    For about 4 months now, some web pages display improperly. Here is an example. Hitting the refresh button produces the same result. I've tried everything short of a clean install of windows. I tried to re-install Internet Explorer, but it wouldn't let me because it said I already have the most current version. I tried using Netscape as well as Mozilla and it still does it. Anyone else had this happen? If so, how did you fix it? I'm using XP Pro if it matters.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

mine does that too with that website. i thought it was an issue with the website???

3. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Yes, it looks as though the two images either no longer exist in the same location on their server or they have been renamed so the Web page cannot find them.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

On other sites where the picture links do actually work many times I see a Red X also. I have to right click it and select Show Image. Kind of annoying...

btw Travis, what theme is that? Did you get from themexp.org or another source?

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, mine does that too.. esp the 'thread status' images here on HTF (Tghe ones ont he far left of each line)

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

A lot of web sites also use redundant servers. I once did a web site that had 5 redundant servers. My updates went to 4 out of the 5, so if you kept refreshing the site, sometimes it would look fine, but every now and then you'd get broken images (when you randomly hit the out of date server)

7. Travis Olson

Travis Olson
    One thing I forgot to mention. I have VM Ware installed and tried going to the website under Mandrake Linux 9 with Konqueror and it displayed correctly. So my guess is that it has to be something in Windows that's causing the problem. Gamespot is not the only website it does it with either, although it's the most annoying since I can't even view screen shots.

Nick, I've had that happen here to but a refresh fixes it.

Scott, I did get it from themxp.org but AFAIK you have to have StyleXP installed for it to work. It's called chrome4[XP] v1.2 if you want to get it. There's also a Trillian skin availible that matches it.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I had a similar thing happen after installing IE 6 on my Windows 2000 box. Got fed up with it after a while and went back to 5.01SP3 which I think is still the best version they ever did.

9. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Did you guys empty your cache?

IE has a nasty way of handling cache. We have problems all the time with our users and our sites. If the server is particularly slow (or acting goofy), the graphics might not load completely for whatever reason. Then, IE's cache *remembers* those graphics in that corrupt state forever until you empty the cache.

We had users that the top half of a graphic would load and thats it. We'd completely delete the cache file and everything worked fine again.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Travis - ahh thanks. I just got StyleXP this past weekend and love it. No big footprint on cpu/memory and no nasty tray icons. [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's my desktop btw (resized to 800x600). I got rid of the desktop icons and installed YzDock. It animates and works just like the docks on Macs. Some poeple make their cases look cool, I'd rather have a sleek looking interface.

11. Patrick Larkin

12. MarkHastings

13. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Other than the missing images, that Gamespot screenshot appears to be missing the CSS for the page. Notice all the text is in the default Times New Roman font.

I see that happen from time to time on Gamespot (The CSS missing, not the images). Doing a CTRL-F5 usually reloads the page correctly.

Jeff

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

15. Travis Olson

Travis Olson
    Well I cleared the cache and tried the CTRL-F5 that Jeff suggested and it still does it. Oh well, one thing positive did come of it though, I can now use Windows update again. Before, I would go to the update page and it would always show 0 updates available and I knew that couldn't be right. Well, after I cleared the cache I tried it again and there where 50MB worth. Thanks for the help fellas, I'm getting a new HD soon so the Windows re-install was inevitable. I just hate doing it.

16. Patrick Larkin

Emptying the cache doesn't do it for us all the time. We need to manually DELETE the cache file in IE.

I use a MacOS X browser based on the Mozilla project and have no problems whatsoever. good riddance, IE.

17. MarkHastings

IE on the Mac is hiddeous! Especially when the page refreshes and all the text goes blank [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Here's my guess, from the Gamespot help pages:

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  20. Travis Olson

Travis Olson
    Thanks a ton Dave! It turns out image.com.com was being blocked in that host file. It works perfect now. [​IMG]

Nick, it's called Yzdock. I just got it today myself after Scott mentioned it. If you use WinZip, when your trying to install it make sure to extract it with the "classic" setting interface or it won't work. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out. [​IMG]