What's new

Does anyone know what will be included on the 3-DVD POPEYE set? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
On April 27th, a three-disc POPEYE 75TH ANNIVERSARY set will be released with a low retail of thirty bucks. It is said to contain something like 8 hours of King Features Syndicate/Paramount cartoons. My question is: does anyone know if it will include the three two-reeler "specials", POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS ALI BABA'S FORTY THIEVES; POPEYE TEH SAILOR MEETS SINBAD THE SAILOR and ALADDIN AND HIS WONDERFUL LAMP? Can't find a title listing for this set anywhere.

JackKay

Second Unit
Sorry, I don't know what is in that collection. But I do know that they are not the original Max Fleischer ones. :frowning:

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Correct, these are the King Features TV cartoons from the 60s.

Time-Warner and the Hearst-King Features Syndicate are in talks about the possiblity of the Fleischers being released. For some reason KF has been holding onto them for years without any interest in utilizing them.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I was extremely excited when I heard about this release until I discovered that it was the shitty cartoons from the 60s. I would pay a King's ransom for the original Max Fleischer's, in particular Ali Babba & Sinbad. Those are readily available on PD tapes, but I want nice copies of these cartoons.

...and while they're at it, where's Betty Boop?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Betty Boop is in bondage...metaphorically speaking. She's in that whole Republic package that is in limbo between Artisan/Lions Gate and Paramount.

Of course, the sweet irony is that come 2005, she will finally return to the studio where she began her career. And if the rumors I heard are true, we will finally be rid of those horrid "U.M.& M. TV" title cards when the cartoons hit DVD.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

That would be good news. Many of the UM&M titles were cut into the original negatives and the original titles were lost. This is true for many of the Famous Studios cartoons like Little LuLu, etc.

Warners recently "restored" Popeye, "Ali Baba" in 35mm (I saw a print at an SMPTE meeting in Hollywood) and seem to think that they can enforce copyright on the title. Of course they need clearance from King Features. The title is remarkable on the big screen since it uses the horizontal camera and back ground models that were used on many of these titles. The Popeye cartoons are unique in that they were in 3-strip Technicolor whereas other early Fleischer cartoons were in Cinecolor. There is even a Paramount Cinecolor short showing the Fleischer studios shooting the Popeye cartoon and has a clip from the cartoon in it. It was either in "Popular Science" series or "Unusual Occupations" (both of which I would like to see AMC release on DVD).

John

Jim Moore

Agent
Hmm. It's kinda deceiving that they are calling it a "75TH ANNIVERSARY" set since it will only contain toons from 40 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks