What's new

Does anyone know what the title of this movie is? (1 Viewer)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing this movie as a kid on a Saturday afternoon creature feature, can't remember the title though and it's been driving me nuts.

It takes place in the 70's(mid I think). There is this teenager who lives in a state near the desert(arizona, new mexico, california???) He is about 17-18. He goes out into the desert one day and finds this alien weapon thing that fits onto your arm and looks like a laser or something. The problem is that once he puts it on it becomes part of his arm. He then starts either having flashes of some other alien dimension or the thing actually transports him somewhere. As this happens more and more he becomes more paranoid and aggressive. That's about all I can remember. If someone could help me so I can stop driving myself nuts I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Steve

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Oh yeah -- that's definitely LASERBLAST you're thinking of. One of the first films of cinema giant Charles Band. Saw it about 5-6 years ago on MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER. Pretty funny stuff. Can't imagine what it might be like to endure it without the MST gang. Too horrible to contemplate... :eek:

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I could watch it without the MST treatment now, but I do remember watching it attentively on TV years before MST3K...

-Dave

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think it's odd that this is a rabidly pro-OAR/Directors original vision forum, yet members will happily watch MST-mutilated versions, with superimposed heads and stupid put-downs scattered over the original soundtrack???

...and then claim that they wouldn't watch the film any other way???

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well Bill, speaking for myself, I'm rabidly pro-OAR and have NEVER cared for the MST treatment.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Does anyone think it's odd that this is a rabidly pro-OAR/Directors original vision forum, yet members will happily watch MST-mutilated versions, with superimposed heads and stupid put-downs scattered over the original soundtrack???
Sounds like studio Bastardization at it's finest!
As a viciously RABID OAR supporter, count me out:thumbsdown:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Sounds like studio Bastardization at it's finest!

As a viciously RABID OAR supporter, count me out
I think you are missing the point of Mystery Science Theater 3000. When watching that show you are watching the characters of the program watch and make fun of the movie. You're not supposed to enjoy the film (always grade "Z" junk anyway) but enjoy the musings of the host (either Joel or Mike) and the 'bots, Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo. Its a great show and is quite funny.

Neil

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"...grade Z junk..."
????
I think not, this film has Cheryl Rainbeaux Smith, Keenan Wynn AND Roddy McDowell in the cast! ;)

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree that, if you're trying to appreciate a movie while watching MST3K, you've missed the entire point of the show. The movie will be frequently interrupted by the host segments, it will be presented in pan and scan with movie seats, robots, and a human covering up the bottom of the screen, and it is edited for time (and occasionally for content).

If you like Laserblast as a movie and are sensitive about seeing things you enjoy criticized and laughed at, then avoid the MST3K version like the plague! If you don't like Laserblast, have never seen it, or you like it but can stand to have fun poked at it, tune in and enjoy!

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, have you ever seen MST3K? It sounds like not. If anyone tunes into MST3K to honestly see a movie that's being ridiculed, they've done too many whippits and need a frontal labotomy anyway ;) And as for the OAR argument, the DVD was presented in it's theatrical 1.85:1 presentation. And the tv shows are in their OAR of 1.33:1 or academy ratio.
Please tell me that was just bad sarcasm!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks