What's new

Does anyone know the laws of personal Bankruptcy? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine is going thru some tuff times and I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of personal bankruptcy.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Did that bill ever pass that made it harder for someone to claim bankruptcy? I don't know.
I'd look at ALL options before going down that road, but I am VERY VERY protective of my credit rating. I guess it's my irrational fear of returning to my po folk roots.:)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
use it as a last resort. I don't think that bankruptcy will clear the debts anymore, only give the person unlimited time to pay it off or something. I may be wrong though. There are other options like the credit counseling places such as consumer credit counseling service. Have your friend give them a call before doing anything else.

Jeff

KyleS

Screenwriter
Totally agree that this should only be used as a last resort AFTER contacting a credit agency and the credit card companies to try and set payments up without incurring anymore interest.

KyleS

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Did that bill ever pass that made it harder for someone to claim bankruptcy?
Unfortunately not. It was being debated right before 9/11 and then the lawmakers shelved it because they didn't want to appear cold-hearted during rough times. There was actually a spike in the number of filings because people were trying to beat the new rules, which never got passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks