What's new

Does anyone know the exact cartoons , that will be on the Tom and Jerry August dvd//? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's because Warner hasn't announced the list yet.

In fact, here is 100% of Warner's available info about that item:

Tom and Jerry: Hijinks and Shrieks

Announce Date: 4/11/03
Order Date: 7/22/03
Street Date: 8/19/03
Cat#: 65719
UPC: 012569571921
ISBN: 0-7907-7492-5
MSRP: $19.98
MAP: None
Format: DVD
Subformat: Dual Layer
Sound Track Language: English
Packaging Type: DVD tray (FLP snapper)
Run Time: 65
Closed Captioning: Yes

Aspect Ratio:
Original Aspect Ratio - 1.33
Standard (4:3 Transfer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Why not just wait untill Warner releases the entire UNCUT collection next year

James Reader

Screenwriter
As well as being cut, these cartoons are likely to be unrestored and full of dirt, pan and scanned (if appropriate) and once again Warner are releasing their cartoon content on a DVD5 (just over an hour of cartoons. :frowning:)

Don't buy it.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
once again Warner are releasing their cartoon content on a DVD5
Then why does the description of it say "dual layer"?

And the CinemaScope shorts do exist in widescreen. I have them on LaserDisc. It's entirely possible that those masters will be used.

Neil

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks for the info David, so this is a halloween themed one , cool! Itll hold me over till the big box,last 2 releases were pretty good too!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Then why does the description of it say "dual layer"?
I wouldn't put TOO much stock into that particular piece of info. Warner often leaves that item at "Dual Layer", which appears to be the default, until they know one way or another right before release date.

The same thing in that system happens to the Packaging Type: they will almost always say "DVD tray (FLP snapper)" for a long time even though we know it's a Citizen Kane type digipack or whatever.

They're good on the major issues (date, price, audio, etc.) but not so good on the minor details. :)

James Reader

Screenwriter
All of the shorts are presented in the 1.33:1 fullscreen aspect ratio. While some of the shorts were filmed in this ratio, or the 1.37:1 ratio, others were filmed in CinemaScope. “Mucho Mouse” is an example and it was originally filmed in the 2.35:1 CinemaScope widescreen ratio. While the title cards have remained intact, the movie itself is cropped to fill the screen.

Beau

Supporting Actor
What's this about the entire uncut collection? I didn't hear about that.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Wow... I didn't realize that there was gonna be two seperate releases.

So can someone sum up everything we know about the uncut version? Or is it just what can be learned from the transcript?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Let's hope that when they get around to releasing the Cinemascope cartoons, that they don't use the old Laserdisc letterbox transfers, but instead give us brand new ANAMORPHIC transfers.

I notice that one of the MGM Cinemascope Droopy cartoons is featured on the new "High Society" DVD and it is presented in NON Anamorphic letterbox( ex laserdisc transfer from The complete Tex Avery), which does not look good for Tom and Jerry being Anamorphic at this time.

Fingers crossed though.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Since the Droopy cartoon on the HIGH SOCIETY DVD is a "free extra", it's understandable that remastering it for 16x9 anamorphic would not have been requisite.

If WB is going to the trouble of releasing uncut, theatrical versions of the T&J cartoons (seemingly aimed at the collectors), I would venture it's very likely that new anamorphic transfers will be done for these proposed new DVD collections. Just a guess at this point, but a logical one.

Even though the cartoon on the HIGH SOCIETY DVD was not anamorphic, I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and was glad WB thought to include it just for a bit of added fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks