Does anyone know the aspect ratio of "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Just watched this movie on HBO this morning at 10:45 am Pacific time and I was just wondering if this movie was 2.35:1 or 1.85:1. The Walt Disney Pictures logo makes the film look like 2.35:1, but elements throughout the film make the film look like it was shot 1.85:1. I think the aspect ratio of "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" is 2.35:1, but I think I am wrong. Does anyone really know what the aspect ratio of this film is? I've been wanting to know for years. Anyone know for sure. If so, please post immediatly.

2. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

As far as I know, it was 1.85:1.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

You know, you can usually get info like this from www.imdb.com. If you bring up the film, then click on "technical specs" on the left hand side, it will usually list a ratio.
    In this case, it says 1.85:1.

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The R3 DVD release of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids is in 1.85:1 non-anamorphic. Hopefully the R1 release will be in 1.85:1 anamorphic.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

6. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I watched a thirteen-year-old copy of this movie on VHS yesterday, and as I was watching, I noticed that the framing looked extremely loose on the top and bottom of the picture. Was this film shot with "soft mattes"?

7. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Brenton;

I can't speak of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" in particular, but 1.85:1 films are usually indeed shot soft matte. I suspect that's the case here, though you might find a lot of cropping anyway due to the many effects shots.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

I'll be picking this up on it's release date as long as it's in OAR. I would prefer 16x9 enhancement, but OAR will be good enough for me on this one.

9. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Guys, as far as I've heard Disney will be pulling the "Honey, I shrank the Aspect Ratio" on us

10. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

God I hope not.

11. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Matthew;

Do you have the Region 3 DVD? If not, where did you get your information from?

I'd like a widescreen version of this film on DVD, and if we don't get one here in the US, I think I'm going to import from R3. Anyway, I know a couple of sites that offer the disc for sale, but none lists any details on the disc.

If I order "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" on DVD from R3, can I be sure I'll be getting a widescreen version?

12. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The R3 disc is indeed letterbox. Click here for the cover scan from the Asian DVD Guide.
    Amelie is also presented in letterbox in R3 Hong Kong but it does have dts French and English subtitles.

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The sequel "Honey I Blew Up the Kid" was definitely hard-matted, as it was one of the first movies I got to run in a theater. I have the laserdisc which is letterboxed, so no excuse for Mala Vista at least not giving us that on the DVD. (Comes with the computer-animated short that came with the theatrical prints too, but after the movie instead of before.)
    BTW I was pretty amused when I found out these movies were from the same people who made "Re-Animator"!

14. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Thanks for the info, Rutger!

As long as we're on the subject, can anyone tell me exactly what Disney's plans are for this movie on DVD here in Region 1? I like the movie but I haven't been following information on this disc at all.

Has it been officially announced for release or what? I guess we just don't have confirmation of the aspect ratio? When's it supposed to come out?

15. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

I think I better call Disney and mention how much I like OAR.

I love "HISTK," but I wouldn't touch a non-OAR version with a twenty foot blade of grass.

16. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Im almost positive that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies will all be full frame... [​IMG]

17. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

18. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I still have hope for the Honey films to be in widescreen, especially considering the other family films among the catalogue releases that will be in OAR before October.

19. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

20. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Nobody ever said it was going to be full-frame. For all I know, it's probably going to be widescreen. Didn't we learn last year with The Goonies and The Neverending Story that it's not good to jump to conclusions? We THOUGHT they were going to be full-frame-only...but both had widescreen transfers on them!