Does anyone know if their is .wav player that uses spdif?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChuckM, Jun 21, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to find an audio player that uses spdif out so that I can test my dts .wavs before I burn them.
    Powerdvd & Windvd don't work.
    Thanks

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    PowerDVD should recognize the file as DTS. Now if it outputs it as a straight DTS-encoded PCM Stream without modification is beyond me. Did you enable it on your soundcard? i know for mine (hercules Fortissimo II) i have to enable the digital out first.

Im assuming you enabled it in your software already

3. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

spdif is both hardware and software enabled, but I'm guessing that powerdvd only uses the spdif out when it knows it's playing a multichannel file. So when it plays the dts wav it only thinks of it as stereo and my not be sending it correctly.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The easiest way I can think of is to burn the .WAV files onto a CD-RW disc, and put it in your stand-alone DVD player. Assuming you don't have a cheap DVD player that can't read CDRWs, this may work as a temporary solution.

Another possiblity is to make an ISO image of it, and use a virtual CD utility to fool windows into thinking it is a CD player with a CD containing your .WAV files, then you can try playing it back in WinDVD or PowerDVD, and hopefully the software audio decoder will recognize it pass the signal through unmolested. However, in my experience, this probably won't work, and will instead remix it using directsound3d, which won't work properly over SP/DIF out unless you have an nForce audio chipset on your motherboard.