Does anyone know if the Head DVD is OAR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, May 17, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I've been contemplating getting the Monkees' "classic" Head for some time now. I know it's a full-frame transfer, but I don't know what the OAR of the film is. I've read from varying sources that it's anything from 1:33/1, to 2:35/1. IMDB doesn't list any technical specs for it, so I'm hoping someone here would know for sure.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Dylan Davis

Dylan Davis Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess Rhino would know, but look close during the Ditty Deigo War Chant number when there are lots of little boxes on the screen with film clips going. The boxes on both sides of the screen are cut off. Looks like a chop job to me.

Very interesting movie though. The Monkees are great.

Dylan

4. John_Berger

5. Dylan Davis

Dylan Davis Stunt Coordinator

I will try that when I get home. I really hope you are right, cause I hated that this was pan & scan.

6. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Appears to have been shot on Spherical 35MM, so it was probably projected at 1.66:1 to 1.85:1.
    Overall, the framing seems pretty decent. It's probably safe to assume this is as good as we're going to get for a LONG time. There's not exaclty a huge demand out there for such a bizarre movie.
    btw... of 500 DVDs, this is probably on my top 5 most watched discs. [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

There's a technical note at the start of the disc that says the transfer is full-frame to prevent loss of image on the sides (Rhino also said The Rutles was remastered in 5.1, so decide truth on this one accordingly). There are shots within the film where you can see matting at the top and bottom of the frame, so I think they did leave it mostly full-frame. The shot mentioned above with the grid of television monitors across the screen is cut off slightly on each side, but I don't know if this was how it was intended.