Does anyone know how to use a ratshack multimeter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ericLee, Oct 25, 2003.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a ratschack PC interface multimeter to check My ac voltage, BTW it's on sale in stores, i saved 10 bucks off the reg 69.99. Which setting on the knob does it have to be at and which inputs do i need to hook up to which outlet. I got it to work for a sec and I had the 2 holes on the right pluged in and i had it dialed to dbm`V setting. I remeber this model was recomended by some other users before so if anyone is using the same model, can you please help me out. thanks,

2. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I got it to work by replacing the fuses in the meter. I'm getting very good power 119-121 so far from morning to night. Now i can calm the upgrade demons telling me to spend a ridiculouse amout for power conditioning. it does seem strange though that i once had and returned a monster power center that had a power meter built in an for some reson it never gave me 120 always less, 118 and below. Makes you wonder if that to is also part of the monster marketing scheme.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well that's a tough question to answer and keep in mind I've taken my share of shots at Monster. Realistically though, I don't think one should look at the meter in one of those 'power conditioners' as being overly precise. Also, the meters may well be reading the voltage with equipment attached in which case one should rightly expect variations in voltage with equipment attached and playing. Further, that voltage may well take a dip during demanding passages that are being played. The thing is though, that people look at that and have a tendency to panic. My god they may say, the voltage dropped to 113 as I was watching and listening to something from Star Wars or horrors, one's cherished copy of Yentl [​IMG]

You see, that's normal and to be expected. Now companies are a funny lot. There's the truth they tell you and the truth they keep away from you. Kind of like a prosecter's office not disclosing that they found additional blood samples that don't correspond to the defendant. Competent manufacturers of equipment are quite aware that voltages may drop and even upon occasion rise, hence they design their equipment to play entirely satisfactorily within a certain tolerance. However, you invariably won't find Monster or for that matter just about anyone else telling you that's just the way life is and that it's ok if your voltage isn't a rock steady 120 volts. By not properly informing you of that, you, the consumer, are left to wonder...to agonize...and then to consider the purchase of something that while it may not hurt you (except in your wallet) doesn't improve matters one iota. Instead, you've taken a quite expensive aspirin and you didn't even have a headache. Now maybe 100 or 200 dollars isn't much to you. However with a profit margin of perhaps 50% and multiplied by a few hundred thousand people and you're improving the bottom line of whomever. The audio industry as many others is replete with providing solutions to problems you don't have. That's life, huh?