What's new

Does anyone know anything about VMPS subs? (1 Viewer)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I think Brian has stated that those are "estimated" values and not actual test results as his facility is too small for full volume testing.

John

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
How des the output of a 16-46 CS+ compare to the VMPS larger at 20hz?
It would be interesting to see. VMPS does state that NASA's Langley Research Center purchased the Larger Sub so they could do very high output, very low frequency testing.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That doesn't instill me with much confidence in NASA. Even a little research would have lead them to ServoDrive and Tom Danley. He would have supplied them with something that could do a lot more damage than a VMPS Larger sub.

I love that picture. 4 BassTech7 bass horns and 4 SPL-TD1 arrayable horn loudspeakers. Result sufficient SPL to provide noise cancellation for a jet engine test. The real kicker is they are supposed to sound great too.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
10 years ago when I bought my Larger they were using the NASA example so it was a while ago that this happened. Was ServoDrive in business pre 1990?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I can't find where Mark said how old the BassTech7 is. But I think it's been around for over a decade. I'm sure Tom Danley was designing stuff well before the 90s. I think some of it was producing ridiculous spl levels for military tests.

I like this quote from Mark too:

On a mildly related issue, pronkie-uk mentions canceling out earthquakes. While not that ambitious, yesterday I read an article outlining how the Servodrive Bass-Tech 7 (the original DC-servomotor driven cone speaker) and the Unity TD-1 loudspeakers will be used for real world noise cancellation... to control the sound of commercial jets at an airport runway! Mind you to cancel sound, you need to generate nearly equivalent levels, and the acoustic consultants involved found the BassTech 7 and the TD-1 the ONLY products to actually meet the specs they had determined neccessary to accomplish the task! And to think I'm putting a relative of these horns in my home system .

Don

Second Unit
anyone know the website for the VMPS SUbs i'm interested in getting one but who do i contact. Don,

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
The VMPS website is www.vmpsaudio.com However, you should go to either one of the support forums I mentioned in post #15 of this thread and ask whom your closest dealer is. They will normally give 20% off the list prices.

Don

Second Unit
just found out that these subs are Passive Ugh. I prefer a powered sub. as i am running out of room to plug things into. if one were to compare these to a SVS sub which one would they compare it to. Don,

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hey Don,

The thing is, powered or unpowered you still plug them in the same way.

In a powered sub the cord just comes from the sub rather than the amp.

I still requires an electrical outlet. And many times this can limit the positioning of the sub (it has to be close to electricity).

With a passive sub, you generally can get a much better amp for the money (most plate amps are the cheapest high distortion amps available), you can upgrade your amp if you have to start with an old receiver or cheap amp, and the only "extra" investment is in one extra speaker cable.

So if you have electrical outlets all over the room the powered may not offer a placement problem, but unless you go for one of the "very" expensive powered subs, the amp will not match the options you have with a "non-powered".

All the best,

John

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

Don was referring to SVS I believe? Did you mean to lump SVS plate amps with "most plate amps are the cheapest high distortion amps available", or were you perhaps referring to one of the many OEMs mentioned on your website that sell powered subs??

SVS "plate amps" are extremely high quality, extremely low distortion, and designed by us in conjunction with one of the most experienced manufacturers in the business, in nearby Canada.

While I won't take issue with what "most" other OEMs do, the context of Don's question and the tenor of your response might lead someone to the conclusion that you, a dealer of every brand it would seem BUT SVS, has some sort of vested interest, with probably minimal, or maybe no experience in testing our products??

I understand your premise regarding passive and self-powered subs (it's one reason we offer both) but the juxtaposition and insinuation that SVS be included with "most" inferior products you might be familiar could be taken as slanderous.

I hope you don't feel I'm being unfair, I only desire to ensure folks here know we have the utmost confidence in the durability, and excellent sonic qualities of our electronics. Any other characterization would simply be uninformed, at best.

Don,

In terms of cost, performance and features I'd guess a 20-39 PC-Plus to be in the ballpark. In a few weeks SVS will announce a PB2-Plus that's targeted on the large box genre (17" wide x 25" Tall and 29" deep) and will include twin 12" TC-Sounds "Plus" woofers, a 800 watt RMS built-in BASH technology amp with variable subsonic filter/port tuning and black finish. Porting will be substantial to handle the power, triple 4" with the patented flares we use.

We'll do our best to have it objectively measured by a third party reviewer soon. Price is expected to be $1,200 to $1,500 and I'd guess it would be more than competitive with any other subs you might consider under $5,000.

Tyson,

If you haven't heard an SVS lately, well... I won't say it (other than the fact there are nearly no common parts between the good but decidedly entry level CS I think you heard a couple years ago (?) and those shipping today. Every part in our bins has been massively upgraded. There, I said it).

PS, I've got a PC-Plus photo sample just collecting dust in my garage. Just a hour away from Denver friend. 8^) It's more representative of the level of cost/content being discussed here I think.

Ron Stimpson
Co-founder SVS

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I understand your premise regarding passive and self-powered subs (it's one reason we offer both) but the juxtaposition and insinuation that SVS be included with "most" inferior products you might be familiar could be taken as slanderous.

I hope you don't feel I'm being unfair, I only desire to ensure folks here know we have the utmost confidence in the durability, and excellent sonic qualities of our electronics. Any other characterization would simply be uninformed, at best.
While I find the "tone" of your response is seemingly out of character, I did not name any brand or manufacturer since my comment was a generalization and very true.

It would seem that if there is any misconception regarding the SVS product you have "cleared it up".

Regards,

John

Don

Second Unit
i don't think anyone was trying to be slanderous just trying to be helpful and give their own opinion now here is my opinion on what i have found out. both companies here have been good to me evreyone has e-mailed me back in a decent amount of time being less then 24 hours. which is good i think trying to decide on a subwoofer is like picking out a speaker it is personal prefrence. i have checked both reviews on each company that was mentioned here. and they both match now it is up to the person to decide on their own free will on which one will be better suited for them i'm not trying to flame anyone and i don't want a war started here. Don,

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I thought John was making a generalization of the entire industry. There are some very high quality plate amps and some not so good ones. The same can be said for external amps, but I think if there is a high distortion plate amp in a sub then that particular driver and enclosure would probably be low quality also. High quality subs use high quality parts.

Ron S:

Great news about the PB2+. I can't wait to see it and read some reviews.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
No problem John,

Given Don asked about self-powered subs in general, and SVS in particular... and you addressed him specifically with an explanation that "most plate amps are the cheapest... available" well, I hope you can understand how I jumped to the conclusion that perhaps you meant SVS fell into that catagory.

I did note upon re-reading that you left out mention of SVS by name however. Sorry if I misunderstood the intent of your reply! Even the mild mannered folks at SVS get a bit edgy when are seemingly lumped in with poor performing products (though I suppose we're all characters ;^).

Ron

Don

Second Unit
well Ron impressed me by what he typed here. but now how can the person tell a bad plate thing what i'm trying to ask here is how can you tell or what brands use the cheap and good ones in. Don,

Martice

Screenwriter
I've owned the Original Larger Sub for over 7+ years and never had a problem with it. I'm powering it with a QSC MX700 Amp bridged into 4 ohms (700+ watts). I purchased the sub as a kit. All this means is screwing in the drivers as well as wiring them. The cabinet was built and finished. I have never had the sub bottom-out.
Hi Arnold, does this mean that you had to assemble the crossover(if there is one)and if so, any soldering involved or is it just a case of connecting the cables to the required terminals. I would imagine the cabinets would come with predrilled holes as well right?

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Don, grab a svs and you won't have to worry about it anymore...that's what I did, and I am damn glad I did it. Plus, if ya don't like it(which I doubt) send it back...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks