Does anyone know anything about Geneon Pioneer?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Thomas T, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

They are releasing a slew of public domain titles this Tuesday, many of which I'm interested in. Has anyone purchased any of their titles before? What's their quality like? Are they attached to Pioneer electronics in anyway?

For the record, some of the titles they're putting out Tuesday:

Almost A Bride with David Niven, Shirley Temple.
    The Baby with Ruth Roman, Anjanette Comer.
    Captain Apache with Lee Van Cleef, Carroll Baker.
    Crooked Way with John Payne, Ellen Drew.
    Cry Of Battle with Van Heflin, Rita Moreno (the movie Lee Harvey Oswald was at when apprehended)
    Don't Trust Your Husband with Fred MacMurray, Madeleine Carroll
    Fort Algiers with Yvonne DeCarlo, Raymond Burr.
    Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square with David Niven, Gloria Grahame
    Town Called Hell with Robert Shaw, Stella Stevens
    Without Honor with Laraine Day

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I can give you a complete history of the company, if you like. Concisely put, when Pioneer Electronics of Japan entered a partnership in 1978 with MCA to construct industrial players for the MCA/Philips DiscoVision video disc system, they began to contemplate the necessity of a software arm. Not very long afterward, Pioneer constructed a pressing plant in Kofu, Japan, and began producing what became known as LaserDiscs. After the original parties virtually abandoned the American market, Pioneer created an American arm of their software subsidiary, the LaserDisc Corporation, under the name of the LaserDisc Corporation of America, which functioned mainly as a distributor for LDs released on other labels, but was also a label in its own right, producing music and special-interest titles, and Special Editions of certain films. In the middle 1990s LDCA began releasing Japanese animation which had been produced for release by the parent company, and this eventually became an interesting enough business that the company began releasing also to VHS, and its name was changed to "Pioneer Entertainment (USA)".
    Pioneer Entertainment (USA) also was an early DVD producer and distributor. As a result of a corporate reorganisation something more than a year ago, Pioneer Electronics sold off its worldwide software organisation [including LDC, Pioneer Entertainment USA, and Pioneer LDCE in Europe] to Japanese advertising giant Dentsu, which renamed the operation "Geneon" [a coined word]: thus it has no connexion with Pioneer Electronics anymore.

3. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Dunno Thomas, but I have four of them ordered for this week as well - including Cover-Up (1949). I've also ordered Crooked Way, Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square and Without Honor. For $6 bucks a pop, I'm willing to take a chance, although I'm not expecting much.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Herb, when your DVDs arrive, could you post the quality of the discs here? I don't expect pristine Warners DVDs. I'm only concerned that they are "watchable".

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Sure will Thomas... my Amazon order hasn't shipped yet so it might be a week or so.

H.

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Thanks Herb!

BTW, Christopher, thanks also to you for the history of Pioneer's various incarnations.

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

No problem. I'll tell you this: the old Pioneer Special Edition LaserDiscs used to be known for their quality, while their anime DVDs tend to be good quality [albeit with some occasional strange mastering decisions] but priced pretty high -- and not heavily discounted like other titles. I don't know to what extent you're still dealing with the same people over there, though.

8. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

i will be watching this thread as well...any chance we can get some screen caps?

9. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Thomas,

My discs arrived yesterday, and for the most part, I'm pleased with them. All of the older B&W titles were better than expected - certainly better than the average Alpha releases (and I have plenty of them). Obviously no work has been done with these, but for $6 bucks, I'm pleased. ANSiB was a disappointment - a p&s copy with colors that are pretty much a mess - looks like a late night cable broadcast. Ah well, I wanted to see Gloria in one of her final appearances and for $6 bucks, I'm not gonna complain.

BTW, these are packaged impressively. The cover and disc art is very well done and they come in slim line cases, which I like. For the price, I'd say take a look...

Herb.

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Thanks, Herb.

I went out today and purchased a bunch of the titles. For the most part, they all look fine and, indeed, Cry Of Battle looks quite good. The two worst are Captain Apache and A Town Called Hell because they are clearly "scope" films and seriously damaged by panning and scanning.