What's new

Does anyone know about these $20 component cables that are tested 40 MHz? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Attractive looking cables that appear to be mass produced probably overseas. I'd imagine that for a short length of a meter or two, running from your DVD player they'd be quite serviceable. What would be impressive would be to have the cables serialized and a copy of the performance results enclosed. However, with all due respect, getting flat FR out to 40 mHz is not such a big thing.
Of course if he keeps using the monster term in his advertising, it won't be long before big Monster sends a letter from it's attorneys!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There is something about the ad that makes me suspicious.

I like that they try to give numbers, even mentioning the equipment they use to test (and that it's periodically calibrated) :emoji_thumbsup:

But some of the numbers they say dont match what I understand is needed. And they have a graph of db-loss vs frequency that goes well above what that scope could handle.

I want to give them credit for trying to give good information. It's just ... something is a bit off (cant put my finger on it).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You know Bob, I think you're right. I didn't read it very carefully and I've taken a closer look at their site. These are some of my observations.

6. AWG22, 0.65mm solid bare copper-clad steel central conductor that is an overkill for any HDTV and DVD signal.
If this is truly the case, this cable while it may be serviceable for DVD, it's only suitable for use for CATV. Copper-clad steel only starts working correctly at about 50 mHz. Keep in mind that Channel 2 is 54 mHz. For signals below this frequency, this is not the proper approach. You need a solid or stranded copper conductor and that's because the skin effect is so deep. For CATV, the skin effect does essentially ride on the copper over-clad. For DVD, it sure as hell doesn't. At around 1 mHz, the amount of signal loss is roughly double for copper-clad vs. solid copper. Given that, his prices are ridiculous for a cable that's being sold for purposes it's not intended. Better off with those GE's at Target. A little long but priced right at around $20.

The other electrical measurements I think he's lifting off of something that dealt with 'characteristic impedance' (75 ohms and all that) and is just tossing it out there to cloud things a bit.

While I'm sure this cable would work running video to a TV from your player, the fact that it's copper clad steel earns it my overpriced, improperly engineered, award :thumbsdown: .

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The dude at Blue Jeans says he tests every cable he ships, and I believe that. He even has switched his recommendation for analog audio cables in that the new one 1505F has better hum rejection than what he was using (he actually tested for that). At least there, he seems to know his stuff.

I even asked asked Quad Shield RG-6, because most RG-6 cable has only one foil shield and one braid shield, and he went into detail about how you can have less *number* of shields, but yet still better shield *coverage*. And he knew about power cords too! :)

Of course, learning from Chu :), I double checked myself, and the C is on the order of 17 pF/ft which is right in the ballpark for good cable.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
if you're really concerned, if I remember the specs right (and I can't find my reference right now,) Beldin has some new coax cables out now... relatively flat (something less than -3dB) to 6GHz.

Of course, there's just a little problem with getting a connector that is anywhere near as good as the cable it's on.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
but probably not suitable for interconnects like for audio or dvd. i don't think that stops people from using them. i believe that's the conformable cable from Belden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks