What's new

Does anyone know about Niccol's "Simone"?? (1 Viewer)

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew Niccol's "Gattaca" is one of my favourite films. I leant from IMDB that he is directing a film called "Simone" which is about a computer generated actress whom everyone believes is real. The film is ostensibly for release in 2002 but I have not heard or seen any news about this. If someone knows something, please let me know.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm dying to see this film! The last I heard was that it was postponed until August 16.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Randall-

Nope. Al Pacino's in it as the director of the movie staring Simone. Sounds interesting. There were some responses from American Film Market on Ain't It Cool News. They were rather mixed, but I'm still interested. Also Katherine Keener and Jason Swartzmann are in it too.

- Guy

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Simone on Monday and it is pretty good. I asked the PR rep if the "female" lead is real or CCG, she said that is what they are telling her, but I've read on upcomingmoives that is partially a real woman. Have you heard anything?

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I believe the footage was shot about 2 years ago, but i could be wrong. I saw the trailer, it looks interesting, but it could go either way. I hope they delve into the psychological aspects of the story/concept (of which there are many). This has some really good potential.

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they delve into the psychological aspects of the story/concept (of which there are many).
umm not sure how much they dealt with the psychological aspects....but there was some very funny hollywood insider humor and the irony of how easily the public can be fooled by media these days.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
The trailer. I thought Gattaca was one of the best movies of the last 10 years. So I was very interested in seeing this director's next work. However, the trailer leaves me completely cold. I don't know what it is about it, just looks "typical", I can't explain it. I'm hoping that it's one of those cases where it's a bad trailer for a good film, ala The Iron Giant.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
When I first heard about the project, I was intrigued severely ... to say the least.
The artifical starlet was a fascinating concept, and I was looking forward to seeing a director who IMO has clearly demonstrated something of an ability to handle weighty material properly play with it. Truman Show was fascinating, and Gattaca was one of the most intriguing films of '97 (and, as a happy accident, introduced me to the talented Jude Law).
And then I found out they cast a human actress as the artificial starlet.
Now it's a joke movie. :frowning:
They should have CG'd an actress, as they're fully capable of doing, for the role. Then the project would have had nuiance and interest, could have explored the concepts it seems to be presenting. Now it'll just be another quirky movie that devolves into a love story I feel.
No I've not seen it. But those are my reactions; first elation, then ABJECT disappointment. If they'd just done a digital starlet it could have been amazing.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
James Berardinelli and I discussed this flick while waiting for Eight Legged Freaks to begin. (He's seen it; I have not.) I'm not about to steal his thunder regarding this flick; suffice to say he mentioned words like "sloppy" and "mess". :)
The concept sounds quite interesting, and I'm a big fan of Niccol and Pacino - but the repeated delays and bad buzz do not bode well for Simone. But as always, we should always wait and make our own assessments. Maybe it'll end up as a real 'guilty pleasure'! ;)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
There is a new trailer for it on the Apple Quicktime website.

Very odd this trailer. The last third of it is just a black screen with typing and cheering in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks