Does anyone here have the Miles Davis- TUTU DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Nov 25, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Wondering if any listeners have this one and what your opinions are of the 2.0 and 5.1 tracks? Also are there nice supplements? Thanks in advance!

David

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I just got it and listened to the dvd-a playlist only. As I haven't listened to a lot of Miles Davis recordings over the years, whether in vinyl or cd, my opinion is only of this dvd-a in and of itself. I really enjoyed the multichannel mix. It was clean, punchy and made good use of the rear surrounds. I have a Tosh 4700 dvd player and don't have an ICBM for bass management. I have towers in front and bookshelves in the rear, and of course a center and sub. So basically, the sound that I get is direct and what the engineer put on the disc. That said, it does have a lot of good lower to mid range type bass and percussion. The sounds are quite distinct and seperated. Some people might find the surround mix too aggressive, but I feel that it makes a great demo for dvd-a.

Sorry, but I just never listen to the 2.0 mix, and I haven't looked at the extra's yet, but I remember that it had some photos and credits on the menu.

This is one disc that I can say I'm glad I got. It's a keeper, unlike some other dvd-a's that may find their way to e-bay.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Excellent 2.0 track and 5.1 track can be found on this disc. The 5.1 keeps the horns up front for the most part and avoids any gimmicky mixing where it does not belong (IMHO). I usually listen to the 2.0 and find the mix very clear and dynamic. Just a note, to access the stereo Hi-res mix you have to go to the top menu or use the group button because by default the multi-channel plays and bypasses any menu selections.

Alot of people do not like Miles from this period due to the "smooth" jazz nature of the music, but if I did have to pick one smooth jazz title to listen to, this would be the one.

J

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The stereo track is an improvement over the CD and the surround is very nice. It fits the style of music, which actually isn't really "smooth," but more pop/funk, like Prince.

There aren't any extra features to worth noting.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I appreciate the reviews here too. This is a disc I need to get.

6. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Yes, thank you everyone for your input!!

7. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this last night. The 5.1 mix is good but WOW, I really don't like the album. I doubt I'll ever really listen to it, I just don't like the style. I'm a huge Jazz fan, and I bought this on a whim not knowing anything about the contents, and I regret it.

[Rant] There aren't many titles I know on DVDA so I'm kind of forced to by blindly like this and I find it very frustrating. PLEASE give us more titles on DVDA! [/Rant]

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Sorry Tyler, I know how you feel. Sometimes you buy a disc that everybody says has good sound, but you don't really like the music itself. If you are a big jazz fan, there are more titles on SACD. On DVD-A, there are a few "smooth" jazz titles, but you might not like that. Do a google search for AIX recordings, they have some jazz titles and their discs are excellent in sound quality.