What's new

does anyone here have a system with over 600 wat ts (1 Viewer)

Jamie=B

Auditioning
With the Sub woofer I do My reciver is a NAD so its rated modestly... But soon I upgrade to the t763 than Hhahahahahahhahahaha(Evil laugh)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what you mean by "600 watts." Not many amplifiers put out 600 watts RMS per channel across the entire 20 Hz-20 kHz range with all channels driven. But plenty of manufacturers like to claim such power ratings without telling you how they were arrived at.

kirtis_mcleskey

Stunt Coordinator
no i mean , TOTAl watts altogether, myu reciever puts out 100 watts to each channel and then 100 for the subwoofer

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Well, I use a Sherbourn 7/2100 and an SVS PC+ so my 8ohm total would be 1925W (1400 + 525). 4ohm total would be even more although I don't use all these channels and I dont pump these to reference levels to even remotely approach this number. Watts are meaningless after a point since all the additional power becomes overhead.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
CLAIMED power vs actual power with all channels driven are two completely different things... Meaning if you look at a basic Sony receiver that says 100wpc for a total of 600w, it more likely than not will not deliver the misleading power claim.

:eek: A buddy of mine is running a bridged 1000W to his sonosub. It's like a personal brain massage from across the room.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
In my system I have a total of 450W worth of amps. In my closet I have 1650W of over rated amps collecting dust.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, calling it "total power" by simply adding the combined output of all channels is misleading. What counts is a power rating arrived at by measuring the output across the entire audio bandwidth at a given level of distortion with all channels driven. If an amplifier is rated at a 100 watts into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz at, say, .1 percent THD with all channels driven, that's meaningful. But multiplying that figure by six doesn't mean anything other than allowing for a copywriter to make silly claims overstating an amplifier's capabilities.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty well assured w/ my claims - the damn thing has 2 plugs that need to be plugged into separate circuits. 30Amps baby!

:D :D :b :D :D

Well - enough of that - Yeah, for receivers that's often the case but with amps made by respectable companies, they're even understated.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm running a preamp into a rack of amplifiers. The main channels L/R and Surround L/R are being driven by Ashly 1501s (175 watts per channel). The center is driven by a 1501 bridged, which gives 350.

Subs driven by an ashly 2001, which is about 300 per channel.

So I have 600watts available for the subs alone. Main channels are 1050. So about 1600 watts total for the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks